Never Autocleans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jbellarmada

Feb 20, 2011
Michigan
Mr Vernon insert. It is not calling for autoclean ever. This for obvious reasons makes for a plugged burn pot. Even unplugging the unit to reset it will not call for autoclean. Strangest thing. No other errors reported though I often see the nearly empty hopper icon on the display but the hopper is no empty. At a loss what to check. It will do startup, feed pellets, ignite and run just fine but the flame gets weak as the pot is plugging up.

Just want to emphasis. Autoclean is not being reported on the display before startup or when unit power is cycled. No errors are reported. For whatever reason the stove just isn’t being given the autoclean command.

After further analysis the stove will display Autoclean for less than a second after Shutdown and then go to startup. What sensors are involved in the autoclean logic? Might my thermocouple for the fire pot be reporting too high of a temp or something?

Just read your post. I wish I had this problem. I bought my QF MV AE in 2018 new from a local dealer in Northern Va. It ran great for the first couple of years, then the problems started.

The dealer replaced the ignitor and complete auger system under warranty. 2.5 years ago the autoclean would not complete and I'd get an error on the thermo display of Bad TC Firepot or Missed Ignition. I replaced the TC several times which didn't correct the problem. Calls to the dealer I bought it from resulted in no return call, or, when I went there in person they stated they had no repair techs and were backed up for months.

I learned from previous posts here that the autoclean parts sometimes jam up and that was my problem. I'd have to push the firepot top down a bit mid cleaning cycle to get it to move. The crazy part is the process moves the firepot back and forth sometimes up to 6 times total. Sitting there for each cycle and opening the door to push the firepot down to unjam it was not fun.

So, that's why I wish I had your problem. I wish there was a way to turn off autoclean, but I'm told by QF that there is not. If I had known this feature was going to cause me so many problems I wouldn't have bought this pellet stove. It'll be interesting to hear what the end result of your issue is. Good luck.

Just read your post. I wish I had this problem. I bought my QF MV AE in 2018 new from a local dealer in Northern Va. It ran great for the first couple of years, then the problems started.

The dealer replaced the ignitor and complete auger system under warranty. 2.5 years ago the autoclean would not complete and I'd get an error on the thermo display of Bad TC Firepot or Missed Ignition. I replaced the TC several times which didn't correct the problem. Calls to the dealer I bought it from resulted in no return call, or, when I went there in person they stated they had no repair techs and were backed up for months.

I learned from previous posts here that the autoclean parts sometimes jam up and that was my problem. I'd have to push the firepot top down a bit mid cleaning cycle to get it to move. The crazy part is the process moves the firepot back and forth sometimes up to 6 times total. Sitting there for each cycle and opening the door to push the firepot down to unjam it was not fun.

So, that's why I wish I had your problem. I wish there was a way to turn off autoclean, but I'm told by QF that there is not. If I had known this feature was going to cause me so many problems I wouldn't have bought this pellet stove. It'll be interesting to hear what the end result of your issue is. Good luck.
I wipe white lithium grease on the rods and the cast portion of the fire pot that slides to keep mine working. Gives me trouble a couple times a year at most since I started with the grease. No answers on my problem. Trying a new TC hopefully it is reading hot or something

Reactions: Force58
I wipe white lithium grease on the rods and the cast portion of the fire pot that slides to keep mine working. Gives me trouble a couple times a year at most since I started with the grease. No answers on my problem. Trying a new TC hopefully it is reading hot or something
Thanks, I'll try and find the grease. The other thing I can't figure out is if the firepot, as it moves from right to left, is hanging up on the top part of the firepot or on the lid at the bottom that opens up. I'm assuming the top, do you know?

Thanks, I'll try and find the grease. The other thing I can't figure out is if the firepot, as it moves from right to left, is hanging up on the top part of the firepot or on the lid at the bottom that opens up. I'm assuming the top, do you know?
Never did figure out where to was hanging. Grease the pivots as well on the left side where the motor arm comes out. I just put a big ooze on my fingers and rub it around the parts. Auto parts stores all have white lithium grease, it comes in a large tube and is used on brake hardware. Nice stuff, not hard to clean up after. Scrape your fire pot door well, they get crusty. You can stop the cycle halfway by opening the door.