never thought i'd own a log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad bought his 1st splitter when he turned 85. When I first saw it I made the comment that he must be getting old. He died 7 years later and I ended up with it. Used it to split about 3 cords of elm. A year ago I loaned it to my sister and split all of my wood by hand this past year. Kinda enjoy splitting by hand.
Probably let my sister keep it.
You're nuts;lol If she gets tired of it, send it to me, I will pay shipping :)

I too enjoyed splitting by hand and wish I could still do it. Well, I do occasionally split a block or two but pay dearly for it. For many, there comes a time when it is time to stop doing those things and the time was right for me after an injury but I still waited too long. Now I enjoy splitting with the hydraulics as much as doing it by hand. It is all in figuring out the best way to do the task. Just like figuring out each type of wood on how to split it and how to split taking fewer swings. With hydraulics it is now figuring out the easiest way to get the job done without taking too long of a time. For sure the time is one huge savings because I split only once per year and in a couple days the job is done. Today I can relax by the fire and just soak up that wonderful heat.

I too didn't expect to get a splitter any time soon. However a deal came up I took advantage of. I will still split most by hand. The splitter is too slow for most stuff. I also just turned 50 and do have some pains.

I have to agree with you. I burn mostly hedge and mulberry. However i do have to split cottonwood once in while and this can at times be a challenge. I have a couple of knarly 2' dia. pieces that refuse to surrender. So once in a while I go out and beat the daylights out of them just to let them know I am still around. They are hard to identify as a piece of wood anymore, but I think I may be winning the battle, because they seem to tremble when I walk toward them carrying my 16# Monster Maul & Fiskers.

Reactions: tfdchief
Status
Not open for further replies.