New 2013 or 2014 Mt. Vernon model; Should I AE or E2 ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKSinAZ

Jan 26, 2015
PineTop Arizona.
My fears are based on reviews from previous year models about the AE going into the auto clean cycle far too frequent. Is this still a problem with the current (2013/2014) years Mt. Vernon? Also, in past years reviews of the AE, I read that the unit shuts down to do the auto clean which is not good in my opinion.

I really can't decide between the AE or E2 and both seem the same with the exception of the wall thermostat and auto clean.

Please help with this new purchase choice

Last edited:
Don't do the E2 yet. It is having some issues. Perhaps they will be resolved in the coming years, but it's not worth getting into at this time.

Good luck!

Reactions: bogieb
The E2 issues are just recent. I have the AE and love it. It shuts down for an auto clean, but most of the time it shuts down cause it reached temp. And I only loose 2 degrees before it is blowing heat again It does have a lot of bells and whistles, and parts are expensive. How much area are you trying to heat, and how cold of temps do you get where you are at? Maybe a different Quad stove would work. Or one of the eco choice stoves from Heatilator.kap.

I occasionally complain about my AE shutting down for the autoclean too often, and I hate that proprietary thermostat. But all that said, it's pretty darn near trouble-free, and is very easy to maintain because of that auto clean feature. I have a freestanding and am shopping for another used stove (insert). If I find an AE at a reasonable price, I'll buy. All things considered, the upside far exceeds the down on the AE, I think.

This is odd considering that all the bad reviews were on the AE, not the E2.

The E2 is a relatively new model. They are blowing the glass out. There are a bunch of threads on here about it.
Ours was one of the first to go, but now a bunch have done it.

Why do you think the auto clean is a big deal? It's a good thing because it dumps the ash and allows the stove to light better.

This is odd considering that all the bad reviews were on the AE, not the E2.

There have been several recent incidents with the E2 - with several threads on the issue (Hobokenkitchen was the first on this forum to report it - and since, at least a couple of others have reported the same thing here). The issues are all of huge safety concerns, not something as minor (in comparison) as to how often it dumps ashes. The E2, by reports from forum members, are having a mass upgrade alert - the good news is that the mfg seems to be responsive and actively seeking to correct the issue. Your decision though - if it were me, I would at least wait until the issue is settled before going with an E2.

Why do you think the auto clean is a big deal? It's a good thing because it dumps the ash and allows the stove to light better.

Because, as I stated in my original post, that the auto clean cycle is far too often and that the heat shuts down when in auto clean mode. These are reviews I've read from past years Mt. Vernon AE models. I am wondering if things have gotten better with the more current year mt. vernon models?

The timing has changed some, but not much. When the stove shuts down to auto-clean, and it hasn't reached temp yet, it is still blowing hot air out when it starts back up. If you are burning pellets on hardwood setting, and running on manual high, the stove shuts down roughly every two hours. But on med. high, it runs considerably longer between auto-cleans. And the auto-clean only lasts about 10 minutes. kap

We bought a new AE this past fall and have run it pretty much 24/7 all winter long with no issues. Heat loss during an autoclean cycle hasn't proven to be a real problem. You'll lose a degree or two but it picks right back up and keeps on trucking. I like that I don't have to think about it. I wanted a heat source, not a hobby, and the AE has proven to be pretty hands off. It just runs, self cleans, then runs some more.

I believe I have read on this forum that because of some of the issues the E2 has had, Quad is now recommending owners of the E2 shut it down and clean it 3-4 times a day. Personally, I'll take autoclean all day long over needing to remember to do this!

Only issue with either stove is the small ash pan, but it just means emptying it a tad more often. kap

Only issue with either stove is the small ash pan, but it just means emptying it a tad more often. kap
Well, I get a full week until I empty, running 24/7. That's not bad, and any less frequent would have me forgetting.

Burning corn, I have to empty it more often as I get clinkers.

Burning corn, I have to empty it more often as I get clinkers.
Makes sense. But you're right - a larger ash pan would be a nice improvement for the future. I just find that habits (e.g., do x every Saturday) are good for me.

Yep. Just have to get into a routine. Takes a little work to save money.

Kap, how does the AE compare to the Non AE? You have had both haven't you?

I have not had the non AE Mt. Vernon. The AE has DC motors, where the old style had AC. The AE has a lot more bells and whistles, which can be good and bad. More things to go wrong. The AE has a battery back-up system you can purchase a cord for, or make your own. The AE is less parts by 35%. It burns a variety of more fuels than the old style. The AE is more efficient. It is quieter by 50%. All the older style Quads are just work horses without the bells and whistles. Simpler to run. kap

BKSinAZ,

I have the 'E2', owned it since December 2014 and have had no problems.
Runs 24/7, non-stop. I really don't understand the problems people are having?

Just my two cents.

Signed happy 'E2' owner.

Vrf201

I too have the freestanding E2 and love it

Jeff

No problems with my E2 either. Have run 24/7 for past 3 months. Dealer is installing the new control board Tuesday, though. Will be interested to see what's changed.

kramerica72,

Let us know how it is with the new board.
I've not been contacted yet for a board.

Vrf201

Will do-

My dealer just received the parts shipment from Quad on Tuesday night, so my guess is you should be contacted in the near future...

Status
Not open for further replies.