New accentra 52i vs 2008 vintage accentra comparison

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bans25

Oct 8, 2013
Hi all,

I bought and installed a used 2008 accentra insert at the beginning of this season and we love it.. It's been nice and toasty while saving $$ vs propane. My wife and I are hooked on pellets now and will never look back!

Friends of ours saw our insert and also love it, since then they have been looking for a used accentra insert because oil $ is really hurting them, we looked at a couple used accentras that were more $ than what I paid for mine but everything we looked at were well used (Mine is like new compared to what we looked). I see a decent deal on a new 52i at our local dealer and was thinking of getting it and selling our friends mine at lower than current used market value. It helps them out and puts me in a 6 year newer stove but obviously will be quite a bit more $ out of pocket for me.

Before I do that... Is the new accentra 52i as good or better than the old design (or is it to early to tell?)
Has anyone owned both or have first hand experience with both? If so what do you think of the redesign?

Any input is appreciated!

Hi all,

I bought and installed a used 2008 accentra insert at the beginning of this season and we love it.. It's been nice and toasty while saving $$ vs propane. My wife and I are hooked on pellets now and will never look back!

Friends of ours saw our insert and also love it, since then they have been looking for a used accentra insert because oil $ is really hurting them, we looked at a couple used accentras that were more $ than what I paid for mine but everything we looked at were well used (Mine is like new compared to what we looked). I see a decent deal on a new 52i at our local dealer and was thinking of getting it and selling our friends mine at lower than current used market value. It helps them out and puts me in a 6 year newer stove but obviously will be quite a bit more $ out of pocket for me.

Before I do that... Is the new accentra 52i as good or better than the old design (or is it to early to tell?)
Has anyone owned both or have first hand experience with both? If so what do you think of the redesign?

Any input is appreciated!
The new one has considerably more output, I've witnessed both in operation and funny thing is, at the same price. In fact there is a sale on at one dealer for the new one, while the other has the old at full price. But seriously, 12000 more BTU in the new one with a strong dual blower, it really pushes some heat out when cranked up. That's all great if you need it. It's nice to help your neighbor/friend but I'm not sure I would do that if the stove I had did the job already. I would though if I had a burning desire for the later version. There are a few member with them here, both the older and the new design FWIW.

Incidentally on the 52i, the advertising hype indicates a max sq footage of 2600 but in the install instructions it states 2300 depending on house condition. I'm looking at the same insert ( My area to heat is 1800 sq ft.). The dealer needed my fireplace box dimensions but looking at the specs on the 52i I know it will fit. My fireplace opening and depth is considerably larger than it's specs by a few inches in every direction..

Thanks for your thoughts, After I posted I was was coming to the conclusion I am happy with mine and don't really want to upgrade unless I have too.. One item I forgot to mention.. My friend was also looking at new ones and they are saying it will not fit in his fireplace, however bases on the measurements I think it will fit (since the blowers are more towards the middle). Interestingly the dealer is telling him the old accentra would have fit but they no longer have any (another reason why I was thinking what I posted last night).

Thanks for your thoughts, After I posted I was was coming to the conclusion I am happy with mine and don't really want to upgrade unless I have too.. One item I forgot to mention.. My friend was also looking at new ones and they are saying it will not fit in his fireplace, however bases on the measurements I think it will fit (since the blowers are more towards the middle). Interestingly the dealer is telling him the old accentra would have fit but they no longer have any (another reason why I was thinking what I posted last night).
Sometimes with the fireplace the opening may be fine but the back side tapers too quickly. It may do so from two directions, top to bottom, side to side. Creates a wedge back there. Still, from what I see of the new insert install dimensions , one would think it would fit about any decent sized fireplace with the right hopper installed ( hoppers come in three sizes which changes the fireplace fit). I'm just so leery of what dealers have to say on relatively new items. If he goes to Harman Stoves, clicks on inserts and then the 52i, he can download the install PDF.. The measurements are all listed there to include the three different hopper sizes..

The dealer is saying the dimensions on the 52i brochure and manual is incorrect (they received a "tech update" from harman but didn't have the bulletin to show us and they don't have a model we can measure.. They say based on his dimensions old one will fit but we can't get specifics from them.. They kept trying to push him into p35i (which they have in stock) but that's not what he wants and is not enough BTUs anyway.. In the end, I have a feeling they are not correct and it will fit.. Unless they are right about dimensions wrong on brochure but can't find any mention of this anywhere...

I may reach out to another dealer and ask about dimension update to see if they heard of that or push on this dealer harder to give proof of the dimensions different than manual.

It wouldn't be the first time Harman has had inaccuracies in their brochures. I almost didn't get a P68 due to the height difference being listed inaccurately between the 61 and 68. I ended up bringing a tape to my dealer and measuring first hand. They noted the inaccuracy and contacted Harman. I believe the dimension was off at least a couple inches.

Last edited:
The dealer is saying the dimensions on the 52i brochure and manual is incorrect (they received a "tech update" from harman but didn't have the bulletin to show us and they don't have a model we can measure.. They say based on his dimensions old one will fit but we can't get specifics from them.. They kept trying to push him into p35i (which they have in stock) but that's not what he wants and is not enough BTUs anyway.. In the end, I have a feeling they are not correct and it will fit.. Unless they are right about dimensions wrong on brochure but can't find any mention of this anywhere...

I may reach out to another dealer and ask about dimension update to see if they heard of that or push on this dealer harder to give proof of the dimensions different than manual.
Sounds like he wants to sell what he has in stock. Reading the install PDF for the P35i, it's an inch or so lower/short at the front but tapers different than the 52i. I don't see the real advantages in measurements to a great degree in the 35i anyway. That is of course unless the 52i PDF really is off ( I suspect not but hey, it's possible). Dealers, in some cases can be like car salesmen. Again, I'm just so Leary of some of them. I can't stand getting a line of BS from someone. Then you can't trust them anymore. meanwhile you kind of have to take him on his word about the update info.

Last edited:
From my understanding, the only difference between the new Accentra insert and the old one is BTU output (not insignificant), and I believe the hopper holds another 10lbs of pellets (still way too small, in my opinion). I actually looked at the new 52i insert when I was at my dealer, buying my P68. It looked identical (to the old one) to my eyes, so I don't know that they made any aesthetic changes to the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.