New Battery Chargers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We have battery maintainers and a older booster pac, I was wondering if anyone has a the newer style like a NOCO and what they think about them.

NOCO Boost HD GB70 2000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter Box, Car Battery Booster Pack, Portable Power Bank Charger​

I have a NOCO charger, I really like it, much better tech and charging algorithms than most chargers. Mines not the booster pack though. That being said I know a few guys that have them, and they've all said they'll never go back to the standard lead acid booster packs.

I have a NOCO charger, I really like it, much better tech and charging algorithms than most chargers. Mines not the booster pack though. That being said I know a few guys that have them, and they've all said they'll never go back to the standard lead acid booster packs.
Thanks @ABMax24 , do you recall what model number you have?

Thanks @ABMax24 , do you recall what model number you have?
Mines just a Genius5. I use it mainly to keep my fifth wheel and boat batteries topped up over the winter. I like that is has the desulfate function and temperature compensation.

The kicker with NOCO is you still need a dedicated charger, and separate booster pack. It would sure be nice if they built a combination unit.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I have a Genius 5 as well. Use it to keep my 3 series 31 Deep Cycle Marine Batteries up to snuff. I do not have a booster pack as I really have no need for one. Love it though.

I see this model is a battery charger.

Amazon product ASIN B016UG6PWE
I was looking for a booster pac/battery charger that could go with me in the woods, I was stranded once on the hottest days of the year on our highest hills.

Which model number would have the best chance of bringing back a battery with a bad cell?

I see this model is a battery charger.

Amazon product ASIN B016UG6PWE
I was looking for a booster pac/battery charger that could go with me in the woods, I was stranded once on the hottest days of the year on our highest hills.

Which model number would have the best chance of bringing back a battery with a bad cell?

That's just a booster pack, not a charger.

I've never been able to bring back a battery with a dead cell. When I get a dead cell its usually because of a short.

I rely heavily on my batteries to be functional, many of the places I go could be life threatening should my equipment not start. I use my NOCO to keep my batteries in good shape, but I won't dare push a battery past it's prime. I guess a booster pack would be added insurance, but I think I'd forget to keep it charged.

That's just a booster pack, not a charger.

I've never been able to bring back a battery with a dead cell. When I get a dead cell its usually because of a short.

I rely heavily on my batteries to be functional, many of the places I go could be life threatening should my equipment not start. I use my NOCO to keep my batteries in good shape, but I won't dare push a battery past it's prime. I guess a booster pack would be added insurance, but I think I'd forget to keep it charged.
Dual batteries if you are in that position lots

I prefer a battery tender. It hooks up to your battery and can remain connected permanently. It is designed to just keep your battery up to full charge without overcharging. I have one attached to all my vehicles that do not get driven every day, as well as my generator and snow thrower. I would not be without them.

Amazon product ASIN B000CITKCE

Reactions: D8Chumley
Dual batteries if you are in that position lots
The reason I was looking for a new type of battery charger is after 13 years with the original battery, the Rhino has gone through four batteries in about three years. I've had each battery on a It's Battery Tender Plus since the original battery.

Its got to be something electrical going bad on the Rhino, the new shop I have looking at it has ordered a new main switch assembly, he said when he shut it off the Rhino kept running. He has checked out a bunch of different things he thought could cause it and they're fine.

He will put a new battery in it (from NAPA) once the new switch has been installed plus I have a another new one here. We have the tractor and the RTV so I can still get some work done and the new part hopefully will get here before or after Thanksgiving.

The Yamaha dealer where we bought it shuts down from November - March.

The above post should've said that the 5 or 10 would be used for a battery charger.

Either/or, the 10 amp charges twice as fast and can supply 12volt up to 10 amps should you ever need it to power something with it. and has the 6volt agm mode.

I went with the 5 because I'm not usually in a rush to get a battery charged, nor did I need the other features.

Either/or, the 10 amp charges twice as fast and can supply 12volt up to 10 amps should you ever need it to power something with it. and has the 6volt agm mode.

I went with the 5 because I'm not usually in a rush to get a battery charged, nor did I need the other features.
I went with the 10, it should be here next week. The new battery for the Rhino is an AGM from NAPA but I'll need to take a look at the truck, car and the rtv battery so I can get the proper setting on the 10 before charging.

I haven't read the instructions online but just from the videos it seems like you'll need to pick what type of battery you're charging, is that correct?

Is it safe to charge the battery while it's hooked up to the vehicle?

The reason I was looking for a new type of battery charger is after 13 years with the original battery, the Rhino has gone through four batteries in about three years. I've had each battery on a It's Battery Tender Plus since the original battery.

Its got to be something electrical going bad on the Rhino, the new shop I have looking at it has ordered a new main switch assembly, he said when he shut it off the Rhino kept running. He has checked out a bunch of different things he thought could cause it and they're fine.

He will put a new battery in it (from NAPA) once the new switch has been installed plus I have a another new one here. We have the tractor and the RTV so I can still get some work done and the new part hopefully will get here before or after Thanksgiving.

The Yamaha dealer where we bought it shuts down from November - March.
On/off battery switch is the simple cure for that problem. You could end up pulling your hair out over a phantom discharge, especially in a vehicle that old.

On/off battery switch is the simple cure for that problem. You could end up pulling your hair out over a phantom discharge, especially in a vehicle that old.
I had never thought of that, thanks rotti.

Reactions: rottiman
It came in today, I'll read the instructions first before I do anything.