New Beehive "on tap" Idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I am lucky enough to have healthy wild bees in my area and a few local apiarists I can score honey from, but would love to try this someday. Researched it a bit on permies, evidently a few famous, well respected beekeepers are on board after giving it a whirl.

I'm on their mailing list though I'm not sure yet whether I'll get back into beekeeping. I've lost more hives than I have saved. May have to wait until we have bees that can safely overwinter here. Do you do anything to protect your bees in this cold winter weather?

Last edited:
I've never kept bees, but it's on the bucket list. We still have a good wild population in my area, and several keepers around. I know one of my students uses a "Hardy Italian variety," but that's it. They lost 4 hives to a bear in October though.

I had bees for a few years, I'd like to get back to it. But this doesn't seem to make sense to me, bees I've had would plug any hole that leaked honey.

My understanding it that the super has special combs with drainage channels in the back. When you open spigot the honey drains out. What is not clear to me is how the bees know that their capped cells are now empty of honey. Apparently they do according to the explanation I got and they open the cap and start refilling the cells with honey.

Thanks osagebow. I joined the mailing list. I hope to retire in 4 years. Bees are on my to do list when i retire

Reactions: osagebow
Thanks osagebow. I joined the mailing list. I hope to retire in 4 years. Bees are on my to do list when i retire
Me too, but bears are giving me pause, my student said the bear came back and wiped them out
this year. I see a lot more than she does ( I'm up on a mountain in a national forest, she's down in farmland by the interstate.)
I'm on their mailing list though I'm not sure yet whether I'll get back into beekeeping. I've lost more hives than I have saved. May have to wait until we have bees that can safely overwinter here. Do you do anything to protect your bees in this cold winter weather?
She said they rarely make it through, even when covered with blankets. All die in winters like this, even the queens.

Most folks don't realize that honey bees are not native to America. They are a domestic, introduced species.

Reactions: osagebow
I ordered the $600 option yesterday. Estimated delivery is dec this year. I hope it isnt a scam,,,,,if it is, they convinced me!

Now they have raised millions. Still, $600. is a lot of $$. I'd love to raise bees but there's so little money in it and if you're paying $600, even less.

Shipping should be ok,,,especially since customer has to pay for it. I have got stuff shipped directly to me from china for less money then i can ship to a town 1 hour away from me!

I don't care about making money on honey. Just want to do the hobby, but was put off by the amount of effort needed to harvest the honey. This fixes that. Plus my father in law eats honey like most people drink water. He believes honey is what keeps him alive,,,,,so product won't be wasted!

I just wonder if there will be an issue with propolis buildup in the mechanism that "breaks" the cells.

Its a very neat idea, but there will be a learning curve that will be hard for some new "beeks". You will still need standard honey supers to leave some for the bees for the winter, so this would need to be on top of those. If you are in a mild climate its not really an issue, but up here in NY there are challenges.

Please do post back about how it works for you, and what type of bees you put in your hive!

For those who want to get into this as a hobby, and dont want to spend the $ for this setup, you can use the " crush and strain" method to harvest honey. More work, more mess, but no extractor needed, and you can do it with a few five gallon pails and some cheesecloth. Plus you get some nice wax that way....

They have a shipping chart now. $88 to usa

Ouch. I think I'll wait until they are making them stateside.

Status
Not open for further replies.