New Blaze King - Enough Draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How is tear down and disposal of the masonry. Then repairs to cover where the chimney was then a class a chimney cheaper than a liner when the class a alone costs more than the liner? If the masonry needs allot of work then yeah that may be true but if not there is no way

You missed the part, or misunderstood, where I said “removal” was cheaper than a liner. Removal is inexpensive and surprisingly simple with low skill labor. What you put back can certainly cost a lot or a little. I actually hired the removal out from the same chimney company that had installed my liner because I thought it would be harder.

My chimney and fireplace were internal so no siding work, just a roof repair. Inside was filling the hole in the wall and the floor repair is under my new hearth.

Masonry is obsolete. Some people love the traditional aesthetic though.

You missed the part, or misunderstood, where I said “removal” was cheaper than a liner. Removal is inexpensive and surprisingly simple with low skill labor. What you put back can certainly cost a lot or a little. I actually hired the removal out from the same chimney company that had installed my liner because I thought it would be harder.

My chimney and fireplace were internal so no siding work, just a roof repair. Inside was filling the hole in the wall and the floor repair is under my new hearth.

Masonry is obsolete. Some people love the traditional aesthetic though.
Ok yes removing a chimney can certainly cost less than a liner. Can you please explain how masonry's is obsolete?

Funny you mention removing the masonry chimney. We are replacing the roof this summer so now would be the time to do it. It would be very nice to have a vertical pipe only.

Any time I join a new forum I end up spending money!
I removed 2 masonry chimneys, a metal chimney, and a fireplace in 2006 and cleaned up the roof considerably. That's when the new, straight-up metal chimney went in for the new stove location. No regrets.

Reactions: Highbeam