New Blaze King: First Fire Impressions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TX-L

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Sep 1, 2010
Tug Hill State Forest, NY
Hello all,

I fired my new Blaze King yesterday, as it was cool (sort of) outside and I wanted to perform the initial paint smell burn-off with the doors and windows open. After establishing the initial fire with some small limb wood and getting into the active zone, I added 4 split pieces of oak, seasoned 2 years, and set the thermostat on 2. Five hours later, there was still plenty of wood remaining in the firebox, and I cranked the stat setting up to high. The remaining fuel started to burn, and I got what appeared to be a secondary burn activity in the top of the firebox, sort of a mild controlled explosion (more of a big flame puff) that would develop and roll towards the glass and then lick the cat guard. This went on for a few minutes and stopped. The surface temp of the stove got above 700, with the single wall pipe surface temp at 320 about 2' above the stove. I then turned it back down to the 2 setting, and then down to about 1-1/2 for the overnight. At 5:30 this morning, there was still wood in a recognizable shape, not just coals, and the stovetop temp was at 300. That's what I call good service from a small load of hardwood! I was pleased, but not surprised at this burn time, as I replaced a Woodstock Classic with the new BKK. The Woodstock was (is) great, but it was just too small for my needs. I'm looking forward to more serious burns when the weather gets colder and I fully load the King. From my initial impression, it looks like a winner. I'm sure I'll never look back.

Sounds good. Those Blaze Kings are awesome heaters from what I've heard. What did you do with the Classic?

Todd said:
Sounds good. Those Blaze Kings are awesome heaters from what I've heard. What did you do with the Classic?
BrowningBar is heading down to buy it tomorrow........ha!

Still an infant (in stove years), the three year old Woodstock Classic is sitting on my front porch hoping for adoption.

TX-L said:
The Woodstock was (is) great, but it was just too small for my needs.

Just curious what size and construction house you were trying to heat with the Woodstock. I just bought one used but I'm slightly nervous it'll be too small.

Thanks....

KevinG said:
TX-L said:
The Woodstock was (is) great, but it was just too small for my needs.

Just curious what size and construction house you were trying to heat with the Woodstock. I just bought one used but I'm slightly nervous it'll be too small.

Thanks....

House construction is a circa 1870 farmhouse, very little (no?) insulation, 30 miles +/- from Canada, I would have to measure the dimensions for square footage, but it's 2 story with a basement. Basement is dirt floor and the wall is hand built stone & mortar, exposed on the west and south sides.

I am gone each day for a minimum of 10.5 hours, combine that with the type of house, and, well; I need more capacity. The Classic would always have coals left, but they don't translate to effective heat in that type of house. If someone was home to refill the stove once around noon, it would be sufficient. Even so, I spent <$500 on fuel oil each winter by leaving the thermostat set at 60F. Only on COLD days (high temps around 0F or single digits), or on windy days did the furnace come on before I got home. It's a great little stove, a serious heater, I ran mine 24/7 from Oct - Apr. It paid for itself the first year in fuel oil savings. Hope this helps, and I wouldn't be too concerned about the Fireview's size/capacity/ability until you have a season of operation to reflect on and draw conclusions from.

Scott

Sounds great!! Glad it's working out for you. I have to fire our new Princess up in the next couple weeks to cure the paint. I too want to do it while I can have the windows open.

curious as to the adoption fee ? Is it in the classafieds

ddown said:
curious as to the adoption fee ? Is it in the classafieds

There are two friends who have expressed mild interest, so it is not yet in the classifieds. I haven't decided on how much to ask for it yet, either. Anyone have any ideas of its value?

I'm thinking about buying a second Fireview to use upstairs in the really nasty months of winter. I've been looking and for a 1-2 year old Fireview, people are asking $1500 on CL. That is about what I paid for mine with the tax credit so I think I will wait. $1k sounds like a decent deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.