New blower just installed on Avalon Olyimpic insert!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whphel

Hearth Supporter
Dec 18, 2007
Lake Stevens, WA
Okay, I just pick up and installed the blower for the Olympic. I did not buy it when I got the stove because I read somwhere before I got the stove that it wasn't needed due to the stoves ability to draw and release heat convectivley. Well one hour running now and it is definitly distributing heat better.

New though it is harder to keep the stove at 500d where as before it was a breaze. Add wood fire it up untill chared slowly damper it down. I suppose it a new learning curve for a little while.

Did any of you add a blower after purchase and notice a difference in where you use to have to set things to keep it at the level you did before.

Oh by the way I have the fan set in the mid area.

Okay I have gone 24hrs with the blower and I have notice I have to leave the air open much more to achive 500+ on the stove top than I did without causing the wood to burn much faster than before but the house is much warmer but the wood is burning faster than before as well.

Have any of you had this happen or had the same expirience?

Bump!

Has no one installed a blower after the stove and noticed a difference?

I have noticed something similar in that if my stove-top temp gets close to 800f then I can turn the blower to high and it really seems to pull the stove-top temp down. In other words, the blower pulls a significant amount of heat out of the stove (much more than I would have thought). Generally I run the fan at or about the lowest setting and if I see the stove creeping up high I set the blower to high and it really brings the temp down. I was skeptical but the blower really seems to suck heat out of the stove.

Burl

I've got the Avalon insert and I can say that I didn't noticed a difference. I run a med. burn most of the time with fan anywhere from med. to med. high. The blowers was a good investment for sure. I run my stove in the 450-500 range all day but my stove is smaller than yours. Stove shop said blower will increase draft but I thing they are full of crap.

whphel said:
Oh by the way I have the fan set in the mid area.

I don't know how fast this would be on the Avalon, but on my Quad halfway on would cool the stove too much for long burns. I only turn it up to fairly high speeds when in the hottest part of the burn. Of course, the quietness of the lower speed is much more pleasant too.

It sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of what the blower is doing, and I think you're going to enjoy it and be happy you added it.

Thanks for the reply's. I may have posted to late in the day and it got burried.

I have figured it all outin the last few days and all is well. I anm keeping the stove at 550 and 650 to compensat for the blower cooling the stove so I can achive a good secondary and leaving the air flow open a little further than ai was without.

One thing that have noticed and since I read way more here than I post is that my stove should be buring hotter than the 500d (stove top) than I usualy run it for a good clean burn. Since I got the blower and have opend up the draft nore to compensate for the heat output there is absolutly NO smoke ot the pipe which is fantastic.

I always get some smoke when starting or refueling the fire as expected but the duration is far less. I guess I should have been burning at 600-650 all along.

Thank you for the reply's.

Status
Not open for further replies.