New Buck 74ZC going in interior chase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

logan1211

Dec 11, 2019
Missouri
Hi all! Hoping for some quick feedback/sanity check. Possible I'm just overthinking this.

Ultimately, new construction (home addition) We have a vaulted living area with an interior chase (rear of chase is exterior wall and insulated with Rock Wool R23) and engineered studs. The chase is studs right now, just to simplify the ZC insert and chimney install. The top of the chase is just batt insulation between the trusses.

The fireplace shop is going to be doing the install + all necessary fire stops, etc. The face of the chase will all be shiplap. One of the reasons we liked the Buck so much was was being able to bring combustibles super close to stove vs other brands (and ultimately mantel height being only like ~30" above the unit)

My question is, do I have anything to worry about, chase temperature wise? Clearance to combustibles will all be met. But I'm just wondering with the fire stops, etc. and dead airspace that this chase will get quite warm. Am I overthinking this or is this a common issue that you need to maybe passive/active vent somehow?

Attachments

• IMG_3157.PNG
    IMG_3157.PNG
    626.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Nothing to worry about as long as the stove is installed to manufacture spec, class A pipe will only be getting hand warm on the outside and is rated to 2100 deg f.

Reactions: logan1211
I would love to see pictures when you get it finished and hear how to performs. My parents are looking to build a new house this spring and they are leaning towards the 74ZC. They like it because it looks like a fireplace and they are familiar with buck running an 18 for over 10 years. The 74 seems to be a very versatile stove allowing free standing install, fireplace insert and zero clearance fireplace. I am very interested to hear how it performs and how you like it.