New Buck 91…how to achieve the perfect burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jerokyn

Oct 18, 2022
Kentucky, USA
Hey there!

I just bought a house with fireplace insert last year. It had a really really old squire in it and I ate through wood last winter so I just upgraded to a Buck 91.

It’s a whole different world and I’ve already had my first small burns and they haven’t been real long. I attempted a longer burn last night and this morning again before I came in to work but with my mother home watching the kids, she told me it’s already died down after about 5 hours.

I am so new to this wood burning insert thing. Can someone please give me some guidance or point me in a good direction for how to get a good burn started and how to lock it in for the long haul? My goal would be to add wood 2-3 times a day. Once before I come to work, maybe a small amount when I get home, and then one final load up before bed at night.

I’ve not achieved a good bed of coals yet. I almost have an inch of ashes across the bottom and I have read you want to keep an inch or so in there to keep the coals alive.

How much wood should I start with and what size?
When do I add more and how much?
Do I take all of the coals to the front?
How hot is too hot? I feel like when the temp got to 1500 this morning before I left for work I was getting nervous. But it stopped climbing there and I had it the air closed off and bypass closed obviously to engage the CAT.

I’m just so new to this and nervous I’m gonna do something wrong. Please help!

What is moisture content of your wood and how long does it take for the cat to become active (how long before your closing air down and engaging bypass)?

What is moisture content of your wood and how long does it take for the cat to become active (how long before your closing air down and engaging bypass)?
My wood has been split and seasoned for almost a year. It has been bucked into rounds for even longer than that. The moisture probe for wood that I have was reading anywhere from 8% up to 14% on any given piece of firewood.

It takes me stove from a cold start about 30-40 minutes for me to put in some smaller pieces and get the flame and heat going and then drop in a few larger pieces on top of those and get them going. Roughly about the 40 minute mark I can shut the bypass and engage the catalyst. Somewhere between 600-800 degrees on the cat probe.

Okay just want to be clear, the wood is brought to room temp and split and then measured for moisture content? What kind of wood is it?

The rest of your questions really just require some playing. Each stove is different and I’m not entirely familiar with the buck stoves but your first question depends. You can start with small splits to get going, or just put your normal sized splits in there. You can put 3-4 in or fill it up.

when to reload is really up to as AS LONG AS you wait for the load to burn down, don’t reload when your catalyst is active and stove top is 800 degrees, wait for the load to burn down and your cat is still active, stove top temps 2-300 ish and still have coals this is just a general guideline. Again you can add 3-4 pieces or fill it up assuming your not in a over fire situation where you didn’t burn down the previous load enough.

You can take coals to front, to side, to back, or whatever you want. Taking them to one direction helps with your night fires etc. or you don’t have to and can leave them where they are, your wood will just burn faster over night that way.

1500 degrees is to hot….if….that was your pipe or stove top, if that was your catalyst that’s probably not terrible.

Now to answer your big question if your only getting 4-5 hours out of the stove then either your not putting enough pieces in, the wood is not in fact seasoned, their is an air leak somewhere (perform dollar bill test), or your running to hot for to long before shutting air down closing bypass etc. Start here and see what you can figure out. Good luck.

Okay just want to be clear, the wood is brought to room temp and split and then measured for moisture content? What kind of wood is it?

The rest of your questions really just require some playing. Each stove is different and I’m not entirely familiar with the buck stoves but your first question depends. You can start with small splits to get going, or just put your normal sized splits in there. You can put 3-4 in or fill it up.

when to reload is really up to as AS LONG AS you wait for the load to burn down, don’t reload when your catalyst is active and stove top is 800 degrees, wait for the load to burn down and your cat is still active, stove top temps 2-300 ish and still have coals this is just a general guideline. Again you can add 3-4 pieces or fill it up assuming your not in a over fire situation where you didn’t burn down the previous load enough.

You can take coals to front, to side, to back, or whatever you want. Taking them to one direction helps with your night fires etc. or you don’t have to and can leave them where they are, your wood will just burn faster over night that way.

1500 degrees is to hot….if….that was your pipe or stove top, if that was your catalyst that’s probably not terrible.

Now to answer your big question if your only getting 4-5 hours out of the stove then either your not putting enough pieces in, the wood is not in fact seasoned, their is an air leak somewhere (perform dollar bill test), or your running to hot for to long before shutting air down closing bypass etc. Start here and see what you can figure out. Good luck.
No, it’s checked for moisture outside. Some of its oak and some of its gumball tree atm.

When I said the temp was 1500, that’s at the cat. I don’t have a thermometer or radar to check the surface temperature.

I’ve gotten it to do some overnight burns now and most of the day burns. It will push heat for 8-9 hours the way I’ve been running it right now. I’m going to continue to play with how many pieces and sizes.

I was just hoping to get some direction from a current buck 91 owner that has a tried and true method of loading and running the stove.

Thanks for the responses though and any input that you may have I will appreciate!

No, it’s checked for moisture outside. Some of its oak and some of its gumball tree atm.

When I said the temp was 1500, that’s at the cat. I don’t have a thermometer or radar to check the surface temperature.

I’ve gotten it to do some overnight burns now and most of the day burns. It will push heat for 8-9 hours the way I’ve been running it right now. I’m going to continue to play with how many pieces and sizes.

I was just hoping to get some direction from a current buck 91 owner that has a tried and true method of loading and running the stove.

Thanks for the responses though and any input that you may have I will appreciate!
Ok gotcha. Yeah gotta play around a bit; hopefully someone with a buck stove chimes in. Although I can tell you almost certainly the wood is wet still, for sure the oak. Hardwoods especially oak take 2-3 years to season when their split. I’m in northern nevada my summers are windy with temps in the 90-100 range and I doubt I could get oak under 20% in a year. Bring some splits inside let them come to room temp and check them again (with grain inch or 2 in on each side and in middle) I’d be curious to see what the moisture is after that. Consider a solar kiln next year if needed.

Ok gotcha. Yeah gotta play around a bit; hopefully someone with a buck stove chimes in. Although I can tell you almost certainly the wood is wet still, for sure the oak. Hardwoods especially oak take 2-3 years to season when their split. I’m in northern nevada my summers are windy with temps in the 90-100 range and I doubt I could get oak under 20% in a year. Bring some splits inside let them come to room temp and check them again (with grain inch or 2 in on each side and in middle) I’d be curious to see what the moisture is after that. Consider a solar kiln next year if needed.
I don’t think they’re still wet. They burn no problem. I’m just not used to this stove or a catalyst yet.

Reactions: MMH
The 91 is a little more complicated to run with separate left and right air controls but the basics are fairly straight-forward. You will need around six 4" thick splits to get an 8 hr burn on low and a stove full to get up into the 10-12+ hr. range. Close the bypass as soon as the cat hits 600º and set the air controls to medium or low soon afterward. Remember, cat temp is not the stove temp. A new cat will run hot for a while but should settle down in a month of regular burning. Keep it below the 1500º mark and it should be ok.

Reactions: Jerokyn
Did you resplit a piece after getting it up to room temperature, and measure on the freshly exposed surface?

I do think it's highly unlikely that the wood is below 15!pct in one KY humid summer. I've lived in East TN.

Any excess moisture will eat up a boatload of energy because you have to evaporate it so it goes up the chimney.

On another note, how tall is your chimney?

Reactions: Jerokyn and MMH
Did you resplit a piece after getting it up to room temperature, and measure on the freshly exposed surface?

I do think it's highly unlikely that the wood is below 15!pct in one KY humid summer. I've lived in East TN.

Any excess moisture will eat up a boatload of energy because you have to evaporate it so it goes up the chimney.

My chimney is about 19’.

I’ve been getting some better burn times.
Still not using my best wood cause we aren’t in the coldest weather yet.

I think longest burn time I’ve achieved is about 9 hours. I’m torn between whether this thing operates better on 6-7 smaller splits or 4ish medium to large splits.

This stove does well at heating my house. I’ve been playing with loading north south or east west.

I’m looking forward to seeing what it can do when I load some red oak or ash in here.

Anymore tips or help are greatly appreciated. Still looking for that 12 hour burn time cause I would love to only load it twice a day but right now I’m running on a 3 loads a day cycle.

I do think I’ve been leaving too many live flames going in the firebox though. After I read some other posts on older threads about the buck 91 I do think I need to close off my air controls a little better.

About how long do you leave the air controls open when putting in a new load? I’m a little confused on how much I need to let the wood burn before I close down the air controls. I don’t want to burn up the wood too much before closing it off. But I’m afraid of not getting it charred enough before closing it down too.

And no I did not resplit after bringing to room temp. But I will do that with a split whenever I get home today and I’ll check the inside of it. Thanks for the idea.

Yes, that means your wood is wetter than you thought because (of course) the outside is the driest part.

With a 4 cu ft box, you should be able to get longer, especially in shoulder season weather.

I burn with the air wide open until all is engulfed in flames. Then I (in steps) dial down the air.
The lower I want my burn to be (the less heat I need), the more I "bake/char" the load before dialing down. If it's cold outside, I dial down (a bit) after a considerably shorter time.
But the times depend a lot on your draft imo. Less draft means a less quick progress of burning in the new load, meaning longer baking/charring time before it's fully engulfed. So these times depend on your situation. I have never gone beyond 20-30 mins. Often it's near 15 mins. But your mileage may be different than mine.

Reactions: tebenhoh
As a Buck 91 user/owner, I agree with everything written here, and it sounds like you’re getting things lined out.

One thing which helped me in the beginning was reading on here to “use the stove for the amount of heat you want “. For me that meant quit worrying about what it could or should do, and loading/reloading based on the heat we needed/wanted - within the limits of correct catalyst operation. If that meant more loads in a given time, or depending on outside temps, then so be it. In other words, think about it as how warm is the house vs. how long did the stove burn at 1200+ cat temps.

When we use our furnace, the thermostat is set at 69 and we’re comfortable. When I go to bed and the house is 70-73 because the big Buck has been running all day I feel toasty warm. The next morning it may be 68-69 in the house and I feel “cold” because it was 70+! But the stove ran all night, the furnace never kicked on, and I’ve plenty of coals for the next load. I call that a successful overnight burn, or as you put it, a perfect burn. Cheers, be safe!

If you have anything specific I may be able to answer, that hasn’t already been addressed, fire away! 🤣

It takes me stove from a cold start about 30-40 minutes for me to put in some smaller pieces and get the flame and heat going and then drop in a few larger pieces on top of those and get them going. Roughly about the 40 minute mark I can shut the bypass and engage the catalyst. Somewhere between 600-800 degrees on the cat probe.
That sounds about like how I was running the 91, and the 30-40 minutes it took, except I wanted to see the cat glow fairly quickly after I closed the bypass, so I often took it to 800-900 before closing the bypass and trying for cat light-off.
I was pulling the coals into a N-S line in the center, then loading some quicker-burning woods on the coals, like White Ash or Cherry. They burn a little more vigorously and heat up the stove faster. Then I might have longer-burning woods like White Oak or Black Locust along the sidewalls of the box. This is 1/4" steel so it takes a good amount of heat to get the cat area of the stove hot enough for a good cat light. Or maybe try the opposite, putting some faster-burning wood in the lower corners, that would gas more in the latter stages of the burn and maybe keep the stove hotter at that point. It's all an experiment, so try different things and see how they work out.
I also ran some flame in the box for a while after closing the bypass to keep pumping flame heat to the cat to speed light-off.
The other part of the light-off equation is that you've gotta have enough wood burning and gassing in order for the cat to be able to light off with a strong glow.
You can see if the cat is glowing by looking in through the hole where the bypass rod goes through. You may have to move your head around a bit to get the correct angle, but you can see it.
I don’t have a thermometer or radar to check the surface temperature.
Even with an IR thermo gun, it's hard to shoot the top of the firebox, which is underneath the convective space where the blower air comes out. I don't know that it can be done accurately. I ended up putting a magnetic surface meter on the front of the stove above the door off to one side, where the firebox top intersects the front. When the stove was cranking, the meter would read about 500 or so, cat meter maybe 1400. I didn't like the cat to go any higher than 1500, fearing damage to the cat which I read might result from prolonged operation in excess of 1500.
001.JPG
I can tell you almost certainly the wood is wet still, for sure the oak. Hardwoods especially oak take 2-3 years to season when their split.
Agreed. I'm in southern IN and my Oak takes three years to get sub-20%. Of course that will depend on how it's stacked. Single-row and top-covered in a windy location, maybe you get it dry in two years. My stacks are three rows wide and in the trees where wind isn't as strong.
I don’t think they’re still wet. They burn no problem.
If the wood gets burning on two sides in less than a minute maybe it's drier than we think, but it just doesn't seem likely if only split for one year. Don't just test one split, test several of your biggest ones for a more accurate average of how dry it is.
Still looking for that 12 hour burn time cause I would love to only load it twice a day but right now I’m running on a 3 loads a day cycle.

I do think I’ve been leaving too many live flames going in the firebox though. After I read some other posts on older threads about the buck 91 I do think I need to close off my air controls a little better.

About how long do you leave the air controls open when putting in a new load? I’m a little confused on how much I need to let the wood burn before I close down the air controls. I don’t want to burn up the wood too much before closing it off. But I’m afraid of not getting it charred enough before closing it down too.
Obviously you're not going to get as long a burn out of the Sweetgum as you will with Oak. It will OTOH dry faster. I was doing 12-hr. loading with good woods like Oak etc. but the stove meter would be down around 250 and heat output would be waning.
As I mentioned, you have to burn in the load long enough to get sufficient wood gassing to feed the cat the smoke it needs for a strong light-off. Once I had closed the bypass, I kept some flame going in the box in order to light the cat quicker. But you don't want too big of flames, which could suck around the flame shield and hit the face of the cat, possibly damaging it.
Once I had the cat light well I generally had the boost "shotgun" air closed and the right airwash air open 1/8-1/4" to cruise the stove.
With a 4 cu ft box, you should be able to get longer, especially in shoulder season weather.

I burn with the air wide open until all is engulfed in flames.
But the times depend a lot on your draft imo. ....I have never gone beyond 20-30 mins. Often it's near 15 mins. But your mileage may be different than mine.
Although Buck claims 4 cu.ft, maybe that's with the cat flame shield and cat removed because I measured the loadable volume of the stove at a little under 3 cu.ft.
It's gonna be quicker to get your BK box with 1/8" steel hot enough for the cat to light, than it is the 1/4" steel of the mighty Buck. 😏
I assume the newer Buck has still got the thick steel box.
I had a stainless 8" liner, 21' on the Buck Bay 91 at my MIL's house, and with the air wide open you would have blast furnace-like fire in there. At 19' I'd expect his draft to be about as strong, assuming the chimney is lined all the way to the top.
When bringing the stove up to temp I wanted to strike a balance between a lively fire and the amount of heat that was staying in the box. Sure, you can heat up the box faster with the air open more resulting in a lot of radiant heat inside the stove, but you are also flushing more heat up the flue. Like Jerokyn, I felt that I was burning up the load too much with the air open too far.