New camp in UP of Mi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

UPCamp

I am preparing to build a 24'x24' camp off the grid in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (which is where I live). The camp would be a simple salt box design with a small sleeping loft on the high end of the "shed" roof. I would like for a wood burner to be the main source of heat. Ideally, I would feed to stove as needed and then be able to bank the ashes when we go to bed and then get it going in the morning when we wake up. I was given a Garrison two that is in good shape and have been reading up as much as I could on it on this forum. Would the Garrison two be a good option or should I just take the plunge and buy a new wood stove and if so any suggestions. Thanks

Our cabin is similar, 24x28. Ran a old stove like yours for years.
Pros:
1. Great for big fast heat, show up when its 7 degrees, its fast to heat.
2. Throwing out more heat is great when its -4 f out.
Cons:
1. Used more wood
2. Creosote. Lots. Ever have a pipe fire? Kinda exciting.
3. Inconsistent heat, real hot early, then slow smokey burn.
4. Short heat cycle. Fill at 9pm, up at 3 am refilling.

Went to a new stove 3 years ago. Took 2 tries, first was way to small. Ignore btu and sq ft claim. 2nd stove works good, Osburn 2300

pros
1. Burns noticeably less wood.
2. Little creosote. Maybe a quart a year.
3. Steady long heat. Fill at 10pm, good heat most nights until 7-8am.
4. Burns hemlock and pine. Big plus as I have many. And makes a nice fast shoulder season fire.

Cons
1. Not as quick to warm cabin. Less of a concern now that we spend longer periods at camp. We run propane heat and plan to put something in the propane cook stove when we arrive as well.
2. Wood must be dry, cut split at least a year ahead.
3. When temps go into the negatives maintaining 75 or so can be tough.

We’re much happier with the new stove.

I would get a different stove one that you can see the beauty of the fire...I would get a bari and that's my favorite...yes..old mrs clancey

Appreciate the feedback. I was thinking a new stove would be the way to go considering what I have read thus far on efficiency and a clean burn. I did like the idea of having an old stove that I refurbished and put back into use. I'll put the new gasket and fire brick in the Garrison and give it a nice new paint job and most likely sell it.

Any other suggestions on a good bang for the buck new wood stove is always appreciated too.
thanks again