New chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BrownT10

Burning Hunk
Jun 1, 2021
Massachusetts
I am looking for a new chainsaw in the 60cc to 70cc class. I currently run a 16" bar on a Stihl 028, 40 years old, runs strong and love it. I also have a Husqvarna 455 Rancher with a 20" bar, hate that saw and barely use it because my 028 puts it to shame. However, I am looking for a bigger saw to add as a second saw to tackle some bigger logs and felling trees. I am currently looking at the Stihl MS362, don't think I need a MS462 for what I do. I am looking for just a 20" bar which is mostly big enough for what I do. Anybody running any comparable saws in the 60cc to 70cc range? I am looking for a pro level saw and willing ro pay more for the right saw. Any opinons or experiences on the subject?

I just purchased a MS 400 C. Runs like a 362 on nitrous. Currently has a 20" es bar. After breakin should pull a 30" bar when needed.

I have actually looked at that MS400 C a bit and thought it could be a good fit. The 572xp would no doubt be a workhorse, but it may not be necessary for what I do.

Osage, are you cutting your own firewood with your saw or are you also doing tree work? I do a fair amount of felling, limbing and bucking for my own firewood. I ha e some bigger stuff that needs to be cut so wanted a powerful saw to run a 20" bar, the 455 doesn't cut it. Are you happy with the saw?

At work I use the MS 261 CM - great saw.
I own MS 260, the precursor of the MS 261 - very good saw that's still pulling strong. I use for firewood and occasionally for work.
I recently purchased the 72 cc Stihl MS 462 CM w/ 20" ES bar (It could easily pull much longer bar) - Great saw !
With its remarkable power/weight ratio (1.4 kg/ kW) I find myself going to this saw more often than my MS 260 (but the 462 is a pricey saw).​
The Husky 572 XP is right along with the MS 462.​
The OP mentioned that he wanted a saw for felling - something more than a 50 cc saw.
As 'Osage' has suggested, yes the new Stihl 400 CM might well fit the bill.
There is a good review of 400 C on forestry.com with YouTube video, and some comparisons with other 60 cc saws (Stihl 362 and Husky 560 XP). stihl-ms-400-c-test/
More power (4kW), and better power:weight (1.45 kg/ kW) than the other two, and just a bit heavier than MS 362, but also more expensive than both.​
The 400 sounds like another solid introduction by Stihl.

When I bought my 372XPW around 2010 the local dealers were telling me that the 372XP wasn't being made anymore and they couldn't get them.

One local dealer was willing to look further out, and found a 372XPW out west and got it for me. The difference being the W stands for wrap handle so it has a factory wrap handle, and the 372XPW is a 75cc saw vs the regular 372XP which is a 71 cc saw.

The 372XP is all the saw you'll ever need, unless you get into milling or something like that. I ran a 20" bar on mine for years until this summer when I got a 28" bar for it, and I really like that setup. I recently put the 20" bar back on it for a bit and it looked so tiny compared to the 28" after running that for a while.

I have actually looked at that MS400 C a bit and thought it could be a good fit. The 572xp would no doubt be a workhorse, but it may not be necessary for what I do.

Osage, are you cutting your own firewood with your saw or are you also doing tree work? I do a fair amount of felling, limbing and bucking for my own firewood. I ha e some bigger stuff that needs to be cut so wanted a powerful saw to run a 20" bar, the 455 doesn't cut it. Are you happy with the saw?
I am just cutting firewood, I have only run one tank of gas through it. I have to say if it gets stronger when it's broke in this thing is going to be scary. Dropped a 30" mulberry earlier today, it made short work of it. So far it has met my expectations.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I ended up calling around and spoke to a couple people and have one on order. I lucked out and they had one available. My father has a 362, so interested to see the comparison. I am sure it will be great for my use. I have seen all of the reviews and it looks like it should be a workhorse.

Check with echo and makita. They both make excellent saws have regular carburetors and are cheaper than husqvarna and stihl. Not knocking the 2 big brands but I like to keep it simple. Echo cs620 and the new 7310 are some sweet running saws plus a 5 year consumer warranty.

I ended up calling around and spoke to a couple people and have one on order. I lucked out and they had one available. My father has a 362, so interested to see the comparison. I am sure it will be great for my use. I have seen all of the reviews and it looks like it should be a workhorse.
Sorry late to reply but what did you buy? I recently bought the 362 and it’s a good little saw. The 400 is a bad joke. Stihl had they’re head up they’re buttocks when they designed it if you ask me. A pro saw needs a full wrap and decent dogs. Power doesn’t do any good if the saw is clumsy. Hope I caught you in time

The comparable new husky size saws won’t allow 3/8’s chain so basically useless in a pro environment in my opinion as well. I’ve never ran a stock 372 but a modified one is probably the best pound for pound saw I’ve ever ran. Harbor saw in Aberdeen Washington did the work and it’s held up and crazy power for its size. Madsens saw shop in centralia used to carry new old stock and might still. They ship globally

Last edited:
Screenshot_20220101-104307_Chrome.jpg

I wonder why they changed the color. To make it look more like the Husky? The blue/green was distinctive for them.

If the 362 is anything like the 261 except bigger and stronger then it must be a hell of a saw. You should tailor the saw to your size, strength and physical condition.

Check with echo and makita. They both make excellent saws have regular carburetors and are cheaper than husqvarna and stihl. Not knocking the 2 big brands but I like to keep it simple. Echo cs620 and the new 7310 are some sweet running saws plus a 5 year consumer warranty.
Makita/dolmar have gotten out of the gas saw market,i believe what stock is left is the end of saws
i haven't heard what the parts plan is for existing saws

Reactions: duramaxman05
I wonder why they changed the color. To make it look more like the Husky? The blue/green was distinctive for them.
That's the Dolmar colors

Reactions: Diabel
I'd recommend the Stihl MS400 too. It should be the same bar mount as your current saw so you can use the same bars and chains. I have a 362. With a 24" bar it is a little slow. For a bar that long I prefer to use a more powerful saw. The 400 should pull it ok though. The oil pump is a little light for 24" but there are mods you can do to increase the output.

Sorry late to reply but what did you buy? I recently bought the 362 and it’s a good little saw. The 400 is a bad joke. Stihl had they’re head up they’re buttocks when they designed it if you ask me. A pro saw needs a full wrap and decent dogs. Power doesn’t do any good if the saw is clumsy. Hope I caught you in time
Not all of us need a full wrap and for what I do the dogs are just fine. I really can't understand why Stihl didn't consult you before designing the saw.😉

Not all of us need a full wrap and for what I do the dogs are just fine. I really can't understand why Stihl didn't consult you before designing the saw.😉
Well, I hope it fails because I wouldn’t want it to become a trend in the pro lineup. There’s adapters to allow full wrap but they’re pretty expensive. It shouldn’t be hard to understand where that’s not very good for someone cutting down a lot of trees. At least it should be something to consider even for occasional use when comparing between saws

Geez man, I have a 40 year old saw that I have cut down a bunch of trees and it isn't a pro saw. "Not very good for someone"? "I hope it fails"? Yikes sounds like life is pretty tough, did the engineering team at Stihl terminate you before they went to production? Sounds like you have an ax to grind.

Reactions: usernametaken
No, definitely not an engineer. Just an end user. I realize it can be done with a half wrap and one tiny dawg , but it makes it more difficult, especially up in a tree. Back barring a larger tree while up there isn’t easy. Flipping with the full wrap definitely makes a huge difference. The larger double dawgs help while firewooding down where the large knots from where you cut big limbs off. Otherwise you’re muscling the saw to stay there. Again, if someone else is pondering a saw in this size, it’s something to consider even for occasional use. I’m sorry if my advice isn’t what you want to hear but might help the next guy

Advice is always welcome, with a grain of salt. We all have different experiences and expectations. I couldn't care less about the full wrap, and could get double dogs for cheap if needed, but I doubt it's necessary for me. Based on actual reviews and folks who have used the saw. It it doesn't work out for me and it's garbage like you say, I will post back here with a report. Otherwise we can agree to disagree.

Send the 028 to a hot rod shop and put a 24" bar and chain on it. I don't think you will be happy with the power to weight ratio of any newer saw.

Well, I hope it fails because I wouldn’t want it to become a trend in the pro lineup. There’s adapters to allow full wrap but they’re pretty expensive. It shouldn’t be hard to understand where that’s not very good for someone cutting down a lot of trees. At least it should be something to consider even for occasional use when comparing between saws
I stand by my statement. The saw won't fail because it is not offered in a full wrap and bigger dogs. Why would you hope it fails, because it dosen't meet your standards?