New Chimney for New BK Ashford

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calentarse

Feeling the Heat
Feb 25, 2011
MD
Hi all-

Just got an estimate of $3700 to install a new chimney for my new BK. I almost collapsed.

I have reached out to Woodland Direct and got an estimate from them. See attachment. $1750. I can probably find someone to do a $500-$1000 install (chimney only, stove is already in place).

Do you think the Woodland Direct is a good option? If this were you, what would you be doing with regard to the chimney? Everything you see here? I am opting for galvanized chimney outside (not stainless) because I don't need a shiny chimney.

Thank you for your advice!

Attachments

• Quote_68799.pdf
    15.8 KB · Views: 309
stainless is more than just shiny, it is more durable and corrosion resistant than galvanized, i would definitely go with stainless for the exterior of the chimney, it will be cheaper in the long run.

stainless is more than just shiny, it is more durable and corrosion resistant than galvanized, i would definitely go with stainless for the exterior of the chimney, it will be cheaper in the long run.
They said that the galvanized has the same warranty as the stainless, but I will ask for them to rerun the quote to see the difference. I'm not against paying more if the quality is better long term.

Have you contacted a local csia certified sweep for a quote? Galvalume is ok for going through the attic, but go for stainless outside. It's not about shininess it's about longevity. A rusting chimney is not too pretty either. Stainless is not that much more.

If this is going up through an attic you will also need an attic insulation shield. Looks like you may need a fixed section of stovepipe added too. The telescoping section is only up to 46". You might be able to skip the spark arrestor depending on local requirements.

For a competitive quote this site is pretty good:
https://woodstovepro.com

Have you contacted a local csia certified sweep for a quote? Galvalume is ok for going through the attic, but go for stainless outside. It's not about shininess it's about longevity. A rusting chimney is not too pretty either. Stainless is not that much more.

If this is going up through an attic you will also need an attic insulation shield. Looks like you may need a fixed section of stovepipe added too. The telescoping section is only up to 46". You might be able to skip the spark arrestor depending on local requirements.

For a competitive quote this site is pretty good:
https://woodstovepro.com
@begreen blowing my mind right now.
  1. I emailed woodstovepro.com and hopefully will hear from them soon.
  2. There are only 3 people within 50 miles of me that are CSIA, and none are installers.
  3. The new quote with stainless added, arrester removed, and attic insulation shield is $1937.
  4. The 4' of DVL should be enough from top of my stove to the ceiling.
Trying to avoid any and all bends with a BK - so I will move the stove off center of the wall before I bend that pipe.

The 4' of DVL should be enough from top of my stove to the ceiling.

The Ashford is 31" tall. + 45" = 76". Is the ceiling really only a little more than 6' tall or is the hearth quite high?

Hi all-

Just got an estimate of $3700 to install a new chimney for my new BK. I almost collapsed.

I have reached out to Woodland Direct and got an estimate from them. See attachment. $1750. I can probably find someone to do a $500-$1000 install (chimney only, stove is already in place).

Do you think the Woodland Direct is a good option? If this were you, what would you be doing with regard to the chimney? Everything you see here? I am opting for galvanized chimney outside (not stainless) because I don't need a shiny chimney.

Thank you for your advice!
I would not do galvanized out side it will not last anywhere near as long as the stainless.

The Ashford is 31" tall. + 45" = 76". Is the ceiling really only a little more than 6' tall or is the hearth quite high?
You are right. Got home and measured and the ceiling is 63" from the top of the stove. Add more money to that $3700 estimate.

I thought I was calling their bluff. After doing some researching, maybe not so much. They are willing to install it for $1000 if I buy the pipe through them. They were originally charging $750 per floor, but since I put the stove in place, they're willing to do it for $500 per floor.

The other problem I'm having is that no one will install it unless I order the pipe through them. They say it's a liability.

The other problem I'm having is that no one will install it unless I order the pipe through them. They say it's a liability.

Uh no, it's a profit. They are making a profit on the pipe and on the labor. Sometimes the parts markup can be the majority of their profit.

Uh no, it's a profit. They are making a profit on the pipe and on the labor. Sometimes the parts markup can be the majority of their profit.
What a shame. I could save $1500 if I knew how to cut floors, ceilings, and roofs. Knowledge is power.

Find a local heating and cooling guy, one who had his own business not a chain, and see if they are interested, it's not rocket science.

No we will not install customer supplied components either other than stoves. And it has nothing to do with the profit. We used to do it and to many times the wrong components or not enough pipe etc was supplied. Then the customer would get upset when they got charged for an extra day of labor because of it.

Reactions: webby3650
We don’t do it either. For a few reasons: Unfamiliarity with a product really slows production down at times. Time is money...
Inferior products are often purchased at home stores. For example, Selkirk double wall connector pipe from menards. Total junk..
Part of it is about money. There’s mark up in pipe from a hearthstore, just like at a big box store, so there is a loss of profit there. Hearthstores have a better product almost always, and do not have the buying power of big stores, so they have higher prices with less margin.
That being said, the labor rate you have been quoted is way high! We typically do a full install for $599+\- that’s bringin the stove, and installing the entire chimney system top to bottom.

What a shame. I could save $1500 if I knew how to cut floors, ceilings, and roofs. Knowledge is power.

It's true. You'll find the same thing with flooring installers, auto mechanics, even painters. Don't you dare let them convince you otherwise unless they are willing to give you a parts list and allow you to get them.

No we will not install customer supplied components either other than stoves. And it has nothing to do with the profit. We used to do it and to many times the wrong components or not enough pipe etc was supplied. Then the customer would get upset when they got charged for an extra day of labor because of it.

So you provide parts at your cost? Didn't think so. Or do you hide that markup by quoting the "job"?

Yup, same with the grocery store too. Businesses have overhead, insurance, employee comp, L&I, building, tool and vehicle costs that need to be covered somehow. Some companies do charge higher during peak season, but part of that is to make up for low income during the slack seasons.

So you provide parts at your cost? Didn't think so. Or do you hide that markup by quoting the "job"?
The same way online retail stores sell stuff at cost? Or big box stores? Everyone is making a profit, that’s what makes the world go around my friend!

So you provide parts at your cost? Didn't think so.
No I didn't say that. But the decision to stop installing customer supplied materials had nothing to do with that. We still gladly install stoves we don't sell even though it means we are not making the profit off of them. Now yes if we did still do it we still need to make a certain amount off of a days work so our labor charge would go up. That would also cover the issue of using unfamiliar products. But we never would use inferior stuff. Even when we installed supplied materials there were some we would refuse to use.

Reactions: webby3650
The same way online retail stores sell stuff at cost? Or big box stores? Everyone is making a profit, that’s what makes the world go around my friend!

Oh i agree with you guys. Everybody deserves a profit. That's fair and nothing to be ashamed of but be honest about it.

I understand not wanting to install someone else's junk or off brand pipe. I'd order Duravent, just as they would. I guess I just don't want to do business with companies that try to take advantage of you. I don't understand why 20' of pipe costs $3700 to install when the stove is in place and the parts only cost them $1900. That's one heck of a profit day in and day out.

Oh i agree with you guys. Everybody deserves a profit. That's fair and nothing to be ashamed of but be honest about it.
Who was being dishonest?

When we bid a job it’s a sealed bid. Most often, we use parts that were not on the parts list the customer was given. We eat those parts, the prices stays the same. You have no idea how often we throw in a set of elbows, or a roof brace kit, and extra piece of pipe if needed. Not to mention all the time helping people with problems or concerns after the sale. The amount of time and money spent is staggering. That’s why our store has been there for nearly 50 years I guess. It’s upsetting when I see people wanting a brick and mortar store with trained, skilled employees with tons of experience to match online prices. Those prices are impossible to match most of the time, if you choose to, you won’t have a store for long... Those same people want to come down to your store for advise, pieces and parts that the online store didn’t make them aware of, and often someone to install it.. These “low” online prices come at a cost to us all. It just takes a while to see it most of the time unfortunately.

Reactions: bholler and begreen
I don't understand why 20' of pipe costs $3700 to install when the stove is in place and the parts only cost them $1900. That's one heck of a profit day in and day out.
Agreed that the installed labor price is high. They may have a captive market. My main concern would be the competency of their installers and a safe installation. Get several references and check them out.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I agree with you @Highbeam . These guys are hiding prices and not itemizing anything, slyly avoiding some of my questions. If you hike up the prices on the pipe, be forthcoming and explain what comes with your services so people can understand what they're getting along with those higher part costs.

Is the attic access to the location of the ceiling support box miserable?

Status
Not open for further replies.