New Construction EPA certified zero clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EastEmber

Dec 11, 2016
Hampton Bays, NY
Hi everyone! I'm building a cape cod style house that's about 1600 sq. ft. I'm looking for an EPA certified zero clearance wood burning fireplace with as much window viewing space as possible. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Reactions: Old School
I was in your same position several years ago and went with a Bis ultima. I am somewhat less square footage than you at 1340 but I believe they have several other larger models available if need be. I believe they are now owned by lennox or possibly brentwood?? A google search of Bis Fireplace should get in the right area. I have nothing but good things to say about my unit very clean burning and very efficent.

The size of the fireplace is going to depend on how well sealed and insulated the house is. It's also going to depend on whether the fireplace is intended for nice fires on some nights and weekends or for 24/7 all season long heating. There is a wide range of options, but knowing this info will narrow down the list.

The size of the fireplace is going to depend on how well sealed and insulated the house is. It's also going to depend on whether the fireplace is intended for nice fires on some nights and weekends or for 24/7 all season long heating. There is a wide range of options, but knowing this info will narrow down the list.

Thank you for your fast reply! The house will be well sealed and insulated. We are looking for 24/7 all season long heating.

That could be a challenge with a nice, tight house. A freestanding catalytic stove may be a better guarantee for 24/7 heating. Otherwise look at zc fireplaces in the 2 to 2.5 cu ft range. The Heat & Glo Northstar is a little larger, but is a good 24/7 heater.

That could be a challenge with a nice, tight house. A freestanding catalytic stove may be a better guarantee for 24/7 heating. Otherwise look at zc fireplaces in the 2 to 2.5 cu ft range. The Heat & Glo Northstar is a little larger, but is a good 24/7 heater.

We'll also have gas heat but would like to use the fireplace as much as possible.

Hello.

I'm attaching a zero clearance FP list I created to help review all the specs. There are certainly other ZC models which are not included on this list, but this should provide a good starting point. Generally speaking, all the models on my list have been positively spoken about on heart.com.

Like others have said - I think it comes down to size of the firebox, the technology (cat Vs non-cat) and aesthetics (modern Vs traditional).

I hope this helps. Let us know what you select.

Matt

ZC FP Specs Sheet.jpg

we are enjoying our Osburn Stratford. it is rated at 74k btu and 2100sqft. our home is an awkward 2500sqft and we keep our living space comfortable 70-72 when outside is above 20 deg F. below 20deg F and we push it hard to keep heat pump (electric strips at that temp) quiet. our climate is fairly mild and we can get 6 hours of heat no problem and plenty of coals to relight after 8+

Status
Not open for further replies.