New echo or used stihl

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coltbean

Sep 15, 2015
Arkansas
I can get a 5 year old barely used stihl 460 for $500 right now or a new echo 680 for around $600. The echo would have a warranty but I know stihl is tough. I currently have a ms291 and also an echo cs310. Both are good chainsaws for what they do but I have a couple of VERY large willow oaks that uprooted during a storm that need to be bucked. Suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Well, the Stihl is a bigger saw by about 10cc. What length bar do you intend to use?

Generally the Stihl will hold its value better than the Echo will, in case you intend to re-sell it. A lot depends on its condition, though. If you aren't used to assessing used saws, you can get yourself in trouble rather easily.

I somehow overlooked the fact that the 460 is barely used. In that case, $500 is a very good deal unless it's been damaged by some sort of accident or misuse. At that price you might be able to buck your trees and then sell it at a profit.

Not concerned with selling it later, as soon as I do I would need it again. 5 year warranty goes a long ways though. I plan on running around a 24" bar. Here are some pics of the stihl. ca129c71c03ad776e8ae8d742086ec5a.jpg7eed137500a92b33bc53a859763c8707.jpg

Last edited:
That's not what I'd call "barely used," but neither does it look abused. $500 is a fair price if it's in good operating condition, but not a steal.

Think about what bar length you'd want to use on it. The 460 can handle a 28" bar all day long, and probably drive 32" if you aren't too heavy-handed. I'd expect the Echo to be most at home with 24".

I've heard mixed reviews of the value of Echo's warranty. Some people seem to find it reassuring, but others have reported difficulty in getting it honored. I haven't read the text of the warranty, but I imagine it only covers defects in materials and workmanship, i.e. not breakage due to accident or misuse, which is far more likely.

Reactions: TreePointer
Another thing to consider is the weight, and how it compares to your current saws. If you buy the Echo then you'll have no reason to keep the 291 because the Echo is stronger and almost the same weight, so you can sell the 291 and make back half the Echo's purchase price. The 460 is a couple of pounds heavier, so you might not want to lug it around as an everyday saw.

Yeah the ad said barely used but now that I zoom in on the photos I see some wear. The echo is rated for a 27" bar but I think a 24 would be all that I want to run .

And yet another thing to consider is that the bar that the Stihl comes with is only 20". If you need 24", then tack on another $100 or so for a bar and chain.

Yeah I have had zero issues with my stihl chainsaw or string trimmer, BUT I find that here lately I read loch for the little echo moee often and have really been rough on it and it still starts and runs great. I think I may go with the echo or a similar echo that can run a 24" bar well.

Is that the original bar ?

If that's the original bar then that saw has not been used for much more than blocking logs set up on the ground. Reason I say this is the paint on the bar. It's mostly all still there. In my experience, as soon as you start getting into big wood, and doing stump work where the heavy trunk sits on the bar, the heat generated takes care of the paint on the bar. Quickly.

I believe it's been used but has not had a hard life in a production environment. It looks not that used to me.

If the compression is good and the piston looks good, it's worth $500.

The value of a warranty is related to the dealer in many ways. Sometimes you need a dealer to go to bat for you in getting the warranty claim approved. If your buying the new echo from a good dealer id think the warranty could be a deciding factor. But if your buying online, etc , I'm not so sure.

Tough decision. $500 is a lot of cash for a used saw if you don't know the seller, and the saws history. Nonetheless the Stihl in that picture doesn't look beat up and like I said I think if the bar is original it's had an easy life so far.

Good luck with your decision.

Is that the original bar ?

If that's the original bar then that saw has not been used for much more than blocking logs set up on the ground. Reason I say this is the paint on the bar. It's mostly all still there. In my experience, as soon as you start getting into big wood, and doing stump work where the heavy trunk sits on the bar, the heat generated takes care of the paint on the bar. Quickly.

I believe it's been used but has not had a hard life in a production environment. It looks not that used to me.

If the compression is good and the piston looks good, it's worth $500.

The value of a warranty is related to the dealer in many ways. Sometimes you need a dealer to go to bat for you in getting the warranty claim approved. If your buying the new echo from a good dealer id think the warranty could be a deciding factor. But if your buying online, etc , I'm not so sure.

Tough decision. $500 is a lot of cash for a used saw if you don't know the seller, and the saws history. Nonetheless the Stihl in that picture doesn't look beat up and like I said I think if the bar is original it's had an easy life so far.

Good luck with your decision.

I will agree with WARRANTY Value. Warranties are written to protect manufacturer, not consumer. I have worked on many saws where warranty was denied. Assuming the Stihl has the original sprocket, would be a good indication of usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.