New Encore user with questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodburningscott

Nov 18, 2022
westminster md
Hello first to try to answer a few questions. New install as of 11/13/22, about 5-6 feet in single wall pipe up then 90 thru the wall (class a at this point ). It turns vertical again and runs about 20 foot up. Outside temps at night have been around 28-30 degrees and during the day when I start it its around 40. I am not having any draft issues as it seems to draw and starts very well.

Stove top temps last night where around 250, 18 inches up the single wall pipe surface temp around 250-300. I have had 4 fires in it at this point, basically breaking it in and learning. Wood is oak in smaller pieces around 12-16 long, and a split that is 1/6 to 1/4 of a 8-9" log. I am not stuff it full of wood as this point and the wood is around 19-20% by meter.

Last night I put a larger log ( 18 inches long and 1/4 of of an 14 inch log ) in it and had some smaller pieces left that where still burning. When I woke up 8 hours later the stove it dead cold. It seems like I am only getting 4 hour burn times, but again I am not stuffing it full.

Room temps are comfortable and I feel plenty of heat, just not getting long burn times. Do I just need to stuff it full and choke it down?

Any tips for a newer wood stove user?

stove is an encore 2040 cat c

My encore is 35 years old so it may be different. I've burned it using the cat and not using the cat and can easily get 8+ hours before reload. My STT is generally higher than my stove pipe. I changed to DW pipe this year so I have my thermometer on the flue adapter straight up from the stove and it's about 100* less than stove top. I load the box when I want a long burn and then once temps are up I cut the air back. I cut my wood 16" and I split pretty small as it's a small firebox and with top load it's just easier especially for my wife.

Okay I think the trick is load it full of wood. I put a bunch in it and lit it, got it burning pretty good. I was able to turn the air down to like 10-20% where as with less wood I had to keep it at 50-60%. Its been 4 hours and there is a large base of coals, where as before I would have had to throw a bunch of wood in and have no coals left to speak of.

top surface temps 330, 18 inches up the single wall pipe 260

Had one of those Encore's about 3 years ago. You need to follow the operators manual directions precisely. Mainly regarding establishing and maintaining a 3" coal bed, properly dried wood, and engaging the cat at temp >500 degrees. Not following the manual you will struggle with it. Also VC advises a minimum draft is needed for the stove to operate properly. You'll need to refer to the installation manual for the specific water weight but probably would be north of 0.05. Good luck with the operation of it.

I have the same stove. I get 8-10 hours fully loaded every night. I found it works best when the initial light up is hot and you get a nice bed of coals in the bottom. If you have a 2 in bed of coals raked to the back before reload then the CAT should engage. When it gets to 1000 state cutting air. If I have a solid bed I don't even open the air for load to catch. Just rake back and the CAT goes right back to 1000 and she's good to go. Griddle temp drops initially but climbs back up. I lose maybe 3-4 degrees running air all the way down to extend burn times. Then just ramp it up in the morning