New Energy Bill is hot topic in Congress.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
We have talked here about the need for the US to step up to the plate and start increasing the development and implementation of alternative energy. Politicians from both sides have given lip service to the idea, but finally such a bill is in the congress.

Unfortunately, one party is voting in lockstep to avoid removing tax breaks for the oil companies and allowing for a tax on current fossil fuel which would be used for alternative development.

"Republicans earlier blocked Democratic efforts to raise oil taxes by $29 billion and use the money to promote renewable fuels and other clean energy programs"

I don't know - seems like a good idea to me...it takes money to make things happen, and we are spending 500 billion on just one war partially to secure oil.

The same pols, of course, would OK massive amounts of additional money for war.

It just doesn't make sense....unless we figure the lobbyists in the equation (and the fact that the admin is controlled by oil people)...

Webmaster said:
We have talked here about the need for the US to step up to the plate and start increasing the development and implementation of alternative energy. Politicians from both sides have given lip service to the idea, but finally such a bill is in the congress.

Unfortunately, one party is voting in lockstep to avoid removing tax breaks for the oil companies and allowing for a tax on current fossil fuel which would be used for alternative development.

"Republicans earlier blocked Democratic efforts to raise oil taxes by $29 billion and use the money to promote renewable fuels and other clean energy programs"

I don't know - seems like a good idea to me...it takes money to make things happen, and we are spending 500 billion on just one war partially to secure oil.

The same pols, of course, would OK massive amounts of additional money for war.

It just doesn't make sense....unless we figure the lobbyists in the equation (and the fact that the admin is controlled by oil people)...

Web...
Kinda interesting it has hit the floor now...seeing as how much we have debated these issues right here on the forum in the past. Given the current political climate...the end result "should be entertaining" to say the least. They know something has to change, but given the ethics of politicians today...or lack thereof, I wouldn't expect any "major breakthroughs" in the foreseeable future. Somehow in the end, whatever they do first and foremost "they are going to keep their (oil) crook buddies content...if not happy".

Lobbies? Well, when Bush (oil man) and Cheney (oil man) and Card (Enron man) and other such people are in CHARGE of the administration, they don't need lobbies! It's all about lip service and that's it. Did you watch the movie about Who Killed the Electric Car? While some of it was silly, one of the main points is that plug-in electric cars and plug-in hybrids are here today - and VERY viable, but Bush and Company are instead taking our eye off the prize and promoting Ethanol and Hydrogen (which, according to the show, is very much pie-in-the-sky and many years away)......Bush was in Georgia yesterday promoting Nuke-Lar.

Although the Dems are by no means perfect, I think if they had the votes or sane leadership in the White House, this Energy bill would have went through with some R&D money from oil taxes.

Legislation is about compromise, and I understand that....but we are getting so far behind on this energy thing that we need a bit of radical intervention (IMHO).

Status
Not open for further replies.