New fan set up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Finally found our best configuration so far. The air it's pulling is cool, but gets behind and pushes the warm air. It's an oscillating tower fan, where I've usually kept a small on deck stack. I might try hanging it from the ceiling, then I can keep stacking there.

IMG_20181122_113358521.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KennyK
As hot air rises and cold air stays lower to the ground, I wonder if hanging it from the ceiling would be less effective as it wouldn’t be pulling as much cold air to displace with warm.
Good question. The only thing I'm sure about, is that I would like the floor space back to keep some wood. I'd rather not have a hanging wood stack!

Reactions: moresnow and KennyK
True stone house or? Unique look.
Unique is right!

Yes, 18" of Pennsylvania fieldstone barely held together with a clay mortar. I'm in the middle of a renovation, and will be repointing these stone walls. They were covered by two layers of plaster, one directly on the stone, the second over firring strips, lath, and plaster. What a mess! But, should be pretty cool when I'm done, at least I hope!

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer
Are you trying to move warm air to a different room? Certainly you've read about the standard method of moving warm air, which is blowing cool air toward the stove, down low...

Are you trying to move warm air to a different room? Certainly you've read about the standard method of moving warm air, which is blowing cool air toward the stove, down low...
Sure have. And have tried it. Probably works great in other circumstances, and might after I get the gaping gap between the outside stone wall and inside wood frame directly above the stove, plugged up. If I point the fan toward the stove, it just accelerates my heat loss up that gap into the attic.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Challenging to heat I bet? Giant heat sink!
Sure is.

It's nice until the whole thing cools down in winter. Then, burr!

It's 13 out this morning. I might have to break down and make sure the boiler still works