New Fans/Improve Airflow of Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FPnewbie

Oct 6, 2017
Pittsburgh
Hi,

(Hopefully this is the right forum. Our fireplace was a woodburning but we recently converted it to gas but the question I have is about the original equipment so please excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong place.)

New guy here with little to no knowledge of fireplaces. The house we bought had this wordburning fireplace.

201028-d5451420644fa089eac833fb183e8cf3.jpg

I had someone tell me that the fans on the floor that lead to the blower above is called a Heatilator. I'm not sure if that is true or not. Anyway the problem is that there is very little airflow from this device. The airflow is really a trickle. Is there a way to improve the airflow? Can I replace the fans? If so, where would I get fans for this system? The current fans are about 4.5 inches square. I've asked at a local fireplace store but they said that they did not carry anything for this type of fireplace. There has to be something, right? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

201029-81e5b7b814fc28c47d0d876febd1ea5d.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1456.JPG
    IMG_1456.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1457.JPG
    IMG_1457.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1458.JPG
    IMG_1458.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 99
begreen: Thank you SO much for the quick reply. I've been looking at the grainger page that you sent me and I have also been working with a friend that is an electrician. The problem that I am running into is that the fan on the other side of the fireplace (not pictured) takes 120 and somehow steps it down to 12v for the other fan (pictured). We cannot find any fans on grainger (or otherwise) that step down the voltage like that. Do you have any suggestions?

Sounds dubious. Could be that the previous owner mistakenly ordered a 12vdc fan. A quick check with a voltmeter would determine if it is 120vac all the way.

That's a 12V computer case fan, an obvious jury-rig. Think maybe $5, and worth less than that in your fireplace.

Kirk