New Fire in and old Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JM1978

Dec 30, 2017
Kansas
I just recently posted about a pellet stove insert I removed to expose an existing fireplace. I just tried a test burn tonight so everything in under the microscope.

I'm smelling smoke to a minor degree but can't see any. Growing up, this was "normal" for me, but as mentioned, I'm scrutinizing everything. I can tell there is a good draw and as mentioned I can't see smoke. There is a smoke detector in the room that is not going off....am I just overreacting or should I smell no smoke if all is well?

Has the entire chimney been inspected first to make sure it is still safe and serviceable?

I just recently posted about a pellet stove insert I removed to expose an existing fireplace. I just tried a test burn tonight so everything in under the microscope.

I'm smelling smoke to a minor degree but can't see any. Growing up, this was "normal" for me, but as mentioned, I'm scrutinizing everything. I can tell there is a good draw and as mentioned I can't see smoke. There is a smoke detector in the room that is not going off....am I just overreacting or should I smell no smoke if all is well?
Just keep an eye, and nostril, on it. Most likely everything is fine. As long as your draw is good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just keep an eye, and nostril, on it. Most likely everything is fine. As long as your draw is good.

Before reinserting or using the fireplace for other purposes i e a different wood stove or open burning have it inspected they run a scope through the entire chimney flue to see where the condition is that should be done once a year anyway along with a good cleaning if you are going to use it more often than not.

Thanks all. I inspected from the damper as far as I could see and then from the top down as far as I could see. There was no sign of any cracks in the clay tiles or mortar joins and zero creosote buildup. Chimney exterior is looking good. This chimney is outside of the wall by the way. Really pretty pristine. I'm in an area where chimney sweeps are hard to come by and those that are working are booked solid for the near future.

Attached picture is from earlier today for reference. I let my test burn dwindle to ashes and the smell has dissipated. I think I'm just overly concerned about nothing.

Attachments

• 20180106_120731.jpg
    20180106_120731.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: ksmobile1
Thanks all. I inspected from the damper as far as I could see and then from the top down as far as I could see. There was no sign of any cracks in the clay tiles or mortar joins and zero creosote buildup. Chimney exterior is looking good. This chimney is outside of the wall by the way. Really pretty pristine. I'm in an area where chimney sweeps are hard to come by and those that are working are booked solid for the near future.

Attached picture is from earlier today for reference. I let my test burn dwindle to ashes and the smell has dissipated. I think I'm just overly concerned about nothing.
Looks good, oh you are on the right track better be safe than sorry so it's good that you check into it