New Fireplace-Is there something wrong with my chimney pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-roy

Feb 13, 2013
I have a brand new house and brand new fireplace that is not bricked in yet. Before I brick it in, I need to get this question answered. I am currently getting drafts coming in from around the bottom of the double wall chimney pipe just above the firebox (see red arrows in picture). Is that supposed to happen? or is there something wrong with my chimney pipe?
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• New Fireplace-Is there something wrong with my chimney pipe
    Fireplace Questions.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 390
Is that air cooled chimney pipe?

pen

I sure didn't know you could sit those things on OSB.

Yes, it can sit on OSB. I don't see that OAK doing much good though, not that they do anything on a pre-fab anyway.

It is normal to feel air coming down the outer layer of pipe, especially in a basement set-up. This was being discussed in another thread, they had an insert that didn't do well because of a cold air downdraft, it was coming from the outer, air cooled portion of the pipe, I think. The flue does OK because it is hot, the outer layer is designed to use cold air to cool the pipe. In the basement it's hard to have a good draft, and cold outer layer of pipe doesn't have much of a chance to draft up, it's more likely to down draft. If you insulate the chase and install the brick, the downdraft should be minimal.

I don't mean to knock your set-up, but I hope you don't plan on heating with that fireplace. They are purely decorative.
I would just hate to see you cover it up and then later find out that it doesn't heat.

I don't mean to knock your set-up, but I hope you don't plan on heating with that fireplace. They are purely decorative.
I would just hate to see you cover it up and then later find out that it doesn't heat.

I agree. Not knocking them. I have one (looks exactly the same) and I only use it on X-mas and Valentines day ( ;em )

A fireplace may heat that room (maybe) but won't do much else, besides cool the rest of the house. :(

As for the pipe, it's prob Air cooled and the draft would be normal.

Did you buy this new? Have you looked into ZC Fireplaces that will Heat the house? Even the BIS units are pretty nice and will heat nicely. There are small inserts that can be installed into certain Pre fabs too.

If your looking for ambiance and occasional burning. Then that will work well. Most of us here heat our homes with Solid Fuel heating appliances. So the occasional burner may catch some flack. But no harm is meant. It's being Pro active to inform you of what may or may not happen.

Welcome to the Forums. :)

I pulled one of these out of a foreclosure I bought. Pen, it is aircooled....IRRC, it was 8" pipe inside 12" pipe ( or maybe 10"/14". Scary pipe compared to class A. Ditto what webby said...the house may even be cooler when you have a fire because warm house air goes up the chimney. The OAK may help but I kinda doubt it.

Welcome T-roy. If the intent is to get some heat out of this installation, sell that fireplace and get one that is designed to heat, or rethink this. If the intent is just for nice visuals, there are easier ways to achieve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.