New free standing woodstove making a racket.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mooman

Nov 19, 2012
It’s a Heatilator. It’s sitting on flagstones. It’s shimmed with a washer and measures level all across the top. I just want to know if this is normal? I used to have an old buck stove insert and it never made much noise at all. Listen to the ping at :29. Those happen once every minute or so for 40 minutes, and intermittently throughout the burn.
Audio of wood stove

Any insight is appreciated.

Attachments

• 4FC7B4C3-A445-4786-BA2D-AFEBEFFFD7C8.jpeg
    4FC7B4C3-A445-4786-BA2D-AFEBEFFFD7C8.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 92
A lot of new steal stoves have more insulation in them / better baffle systems trapping more heat within the firebox to create a cleaner burn / less particulate emissions release. The result is that the metal gets hotter faster, as it expands it will make noise.

Thank you. Did you watch the video I linked? I can hear the expansion noises but they are not as loud. This literally sounds like someone tossed some pennies in a dryer at times. They seem to be centered around the top of the fire box. These are so loud and constant that it’s almost a deal breaker. It’s not relaxing at all to be in a room with this much noise.

The overall temperature of the stove as it heats is not homogeneous, actually far from it. This means the different parts that make up the stove are expanding at different rates as the stove heats until it reaches steady state. This puts stress on welds and other connection points of the stove assembly. The noises you are hearing are the result of this uneven heating of the stove body. All stoves will make noise as they heat, especially welded steel plate stoves, to one degree or another depending on the design.

Last edited:
Update: my father has the quad fire version of this same stove. I went to his house this weekend and fired it up. VIRTUALLY NO NOISE. Is the difference in quality between the two that great? Is there really no defect that could account for these noises? They are so loud and constant.