New Gas Stove Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quicksand

Hearth Supporter
Nov 10, 2007
north east
I am looking to heat my basement about 600sf living/1200 total with a natural gas stove. All brands seem to be some what equal but I think I have narrowed it down to Quadra-Fire - Columbia Bay or Regency - C34. The basement isn’t exposed but I would prefer to direct vent with use of a snorkel. Each dealer seems to be honest but of course their stove is best. I am looking for any opinions about the two stoves or any other that might be better.

Thanks in advance!

Just about all big named stove makers make great stoves. as long as the stove is heater rated.

Now it is just up to you on what looks good TO YOU.

I think the most important desision is buying from a full service dealer that is going to be able to help you with any problems that come up with the stove. Face to face. You are not going to get this from a ONLINE sale.
Do they have a full time ON STAFF service and installation department?

If you buy from a dealer that just sells stoves and not installs or services then when there is a problem with the stove they will point fingers at each other on who's to take care of the problem.

I cannot compare the two because I don't know anything about the Regency. I can tell you the Quad unit is an awesome heater and has looks to boot. If they had a burning display you probably saw the great flames it gets. If you have any specific questions about it I can definitely answer them.

Thanks for the responses!

hearthtools - you bring up a very good point about the "ON STAFF service and installation department", something I didn't think of; I will make sure to ask.

It is good to know that there is a place I can ask questions and get great responses; a true resource!

Thanks again

I thought of a few more questions.

Since the stove will be in the basement will there be any issues with humidity during the summer when the basement is damp or will leaving the pilot light on year round help keep it dried out?

The other is I am pretty much sold on vented over not but if the stove is only going to be used for a few hours to heat the space while occupied is it ok to go with a vent less stove?

Thanks in advance!

quicksand said:
I thought of a few more questions.

Since the stove will be in the basement will there be any issues with humidity during the summer when the basement is damp or will leaving the pilot light on year round help keep it dried out?

check with the manufacturer/dealer on this question, i would not run the pilot during the summer as it could put more wear and tear on the thermocoupler, which is the lynchpin for gas stove operation.
The other is I am pretty much sold on vented over not but if the stove is only going to be used for a few hours to heat the space while occupied is it ok to go with a vent less stove?

vent free units must be sized for the open space that they will be installed into , its a math formula that you work out , basically , its "L" X "W" X "H" X 1000 / 50 the sum of this must be higher than the max btu output of the unit in question. if it is lower the unit will not have enough free air in the room to support clean combustion and the "ods" will trip when the o2 level in the room drops below 19.2%

Thanks in advance!

for more about the vent free side let me know im familiar with the concept as we build them , im not as hot when it comes to direct vent though , just a passing knowledge, but i'll help however i can

Actually leaving the pilot on or off has mixed results. Supposedly the more you heat up and cool down the thermocouple the shorter its life will be, also bugs and debris like to collect in and around the pilot when its off. Leaving it on also should in theory help keep rust out. Turning it off saves you from the heat and also saves a little gas each month.

I am confused about your desired vent setup, the basement is NOT exposed but you want to direct vent to outside below grade and use a snorkel to get above grade? You would have to put in a deep window well, as the snorkel caps cannot be buried. Also the bottom of the cap still needs 12" clearance below it because that's where fresh air is drawn in.

Status
Not open for further replies.