New Gasification Wood Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RALMD

May 2, 2018
Kalkaska Mi
Hello I currently have a Johnson outdoor wood boiler that has been used since 2001. I have been thinking of installing a new gasification outdoor wood boiler, outdoor pellet boiler, or indoor pellet boiler. My house was built in 2000 and has 2100 sq ft with baseboard hot water, 2100 sq ft basement with radiant in floor, and attached garage with 576 sq ft radiant in floor (5000 total sq ft). inside i have a viessmann propane boiler from year 2000. . Any suggestions? thank you for your time!

Full disclosure, I install HeatMaster outdoor wood boilers for a living, so I'm familiar with their models. Either the GS or G 200 (gasification models) would sound like a good fit.
In a cordwood boiler, gasification is the way to go IMHO.

A member of this site is in your neck of the woods and has extensive experience in most types of heating and cooling. Maybe he will get a notice and respond to you. @heaterman

Is your boiler worn out? If not I would consider storage first. After the storage is setup you will burn less wood, and after that add a new boiler.

If you are looking for a plug and play replacement (putting a new outdoor boiler where your old one already is), I'd look at the HeatMaster that E Yoder mentioned. I saw them again at the Northeastern Forest Products Expo this weekend - nice units. If you are looking to move to an indoor gasification boiler with thermal storage, I encourage you to look at the Fröling S3 50 or the Effecta Smart 55 for bit more horsepower. Either of those boilers with 800 gallons of thermal storage set up in your garage would be a great system. Hopefully my signature and avatar are all the disclosure I need! :)

Storage I don't think is that advantageous with an OWB. Or as much as with an IWB.

I beg to differ. I'll agree with you if the run from boiler to storage is a long run, but with mine only being 22ft, I noticed a huge difference right away. Being able to go to batch burns is where it's at. If you can get away from the boiler idling you'll see a huge difference in wood usage and efficiency.

Reactions: NateB
I have no experience with outdoor models, but I assumed not having to idle mid burn would be beneficial. Thanks for adding your experience.

I beg to differ. I'll agree with you if the run from boiler to storage is a long run, but with mine only being 22ft, I noticed a huge difference right away. Being able to go to batch burns is where it's at. If you can get away from the boiler idling you'll see a huge difference in wood usage and efficiency.

Hello I currently have a Johnson outdoor wood boiler that has been used since 2001. I have been thinking of installing a new gasification outdoor wood boiler, outdoor pellet boiler, or indoor pellet boiler. My house was built in 2000 and has 2100 sq ft with baseboard hot water, 2100 sq ft basement with radiant in floor, and attached garage with 576 sq ft radiant in floor (5000 total sq ft). inside i have a viessmann propane boiler from year 2000. . Any suggestions? thank you for your time!

I have a EKO 60 turn key forsale in lower Mi