RALMD Posted By RALMD, May 2, 2018 at 4:45 PM

1. RALMD

RALMD
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 2, 2018
    Loc:
    Kalkaska Mi
    Hello I currently have a Johnson outdoor wood boiler that has been used since 2001. I have been thinking of installing a new gasification outdoor wood boiler, outdoor pellet boiler, or indoor pellet boiler. My house was built in 2000 and has 2100 sq ft with baseboard hot water, 2100 sq ft basement with radiant in floor, and attached garage with 576 sq ft radiant in floor (5000 total sq ft). inside i have a viessmann propane boiler from year 2000. . Any suggestions? thank you for your time!

2. E Yoder

E Yoder
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Floyd, VA
    Full disclosure, I install HeatMaster outdoor wood boilers for a living, so I'm familiar with their models. Either the GS or G 200 (gasification models) would sound like a good fit.
    In a cordwood boiler, gasification is the way to go IMHO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Chris Hoskin and Karl_northwind like this.
  3. BoiledOver

BoiledOver
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 14, 2013
    Loc:
    43°58'55 N - 85°20' W
    A member of this site is in your neck of the woods and has extensive experience in most types of heating and cooling. Maybe he will get a notice and respond to you. @heaterman

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. NateB

NateB
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2013
    Loc:
    South Central Pennsylvania
    Is your boiler worn out? If not I would consider storage first. After the storage is setup you will burn less wood, and after that add a new boiler.

5. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Storage I don't think is that advantageous with an OWB. Or as much as with an IWB.

E Yoder likes this.
  6. Chris Hoskin

Chris Hoskin
    TarmSalesGuy 2.
    NULL

Aug 29, 2008
    Loc:
    Lyme, NH
    If you are looking for a plug and play replacement (putting a new outdoor boiler where your old one already is), I'd look at the HeatMaster that E Yoder mentioned. I saw them again at the Northeastern Forest Products Expo this weekend - nice units. If you are looking to move to an indoor gasification boiler with thermal storage, I encourage you to look at the Fröling S3 50 or the Effecta Smart 55 for bit more horsepower. Either of those boilers with 800 gallons of thermal storage set up in your garage would be a great system. Hopefully my signature and avatar are all the disclosure I need! :)

7. PassionForFire&Water

PassionForFire&Water
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2011
    Loc:
    Billerica, MA