New guy and question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitewater

Sep 19, 2016
Northern CA
Hi, I'm Mike, joined here to do some research on a new wood stove. I currently have an old King Products MI2 and can't find much information on it online. Our house is ~3300 sq ft multi-level and although this thing works, it's far from efficient and is a bit on the small side so it takes quite awhile to get it where I like the temperature to be. I burn mostly oak but mix in some pine, cedar and occasionally other hardwoods when they fall in my lap. I'm not picky and generally take what people would like to be cleaned from their yards.

Let me know if anyone has info on the King MI2, trying to determine if it's worth sprucing up or if I should drop the coin for a new box.

Hi Mike, i will get the ball rolling for you. If you do some real digging you will find some folks have created baffles or added cats to make old stoves more efficient. Is this what you are interested in?

Are you ready to start custom mods or would you rather save your time and spend money?

What kind of tools and materials do you have available?

it's far from efficient and is a bit on the small side so it takes quite awhile to get it where I like the temperature to be.

welcome to the forums.
i think you answered your own question. if you feel it's too small you should be looking for a larger stove.

Last edited by a moderator:
3300 sq ft is a large area to heat. If the ceilings are tall then it is even more so. I don't know anything about the M12. What is the size of it's firebox (H+W+D)? If the goal is to heat the place 24/7 with wood it might be time to consider an upgrade to a modern, efficient EPA stove sized better to the house.

one other thought if you have the money to buy a new stove do it before it gets spent somewhere else. with that size house if you are going to heat 24/7 you'll go thru a good amount of wood. if you buy new you can cut down the amount of wood you use

Status
Not open for further replies.