New Guy looking for advice on Wood Stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacomamc

Dec 3, 2014
Northeast PA
Hi everyone! Im new and looking for some expert opinion. I’ll give some back ground before asking my questions. I live in a ranch style home that was built in 1951, located in northeastern PA. I have two fireplaces, on on the main floor, and one in the basement. For now, I’m only concerned with the main floor. I currently have a Fuego Insert, which does very little to help heat the home, and is at least 20 years old. The glass door actually shattered three nights ago while a fire was burning. With the cost of oil heating last year exceeding $1200/ month for the winter months last year I wanted to find a better solution. I have begun by having the attic properly insulated today; it is being blown in to R49 with fiberglass insulation. The other thing I did was put a programable thermostat in, to better regulate the times the furnace needs to run. What I plan to do is install a wood stove insert into the existing fireplace as a supplemental heat source. The main floor we’re looking to heat is approximately 1700 sq ft. One end of the house is the living room, dining room, and kitchen. At the other end are the bedrooms and bathroom. That end of the house is probably about 10 - 15 degrees cooler in the winter. Insulating should help this. I found this forum by searching for “Wood stove insert reviews” and found this review: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/century-cw2500-fireplace-insert-review.61462/. Based on this review, and others I’ve since found, the Century CW2500 seems like it’d be a good match for us. The dimensions of my fireplace opening are 35” wide x 27 1/2" tall x 25” deep. I have not yet removed the Fuego, and do not know what type of liner (if there is one) is in the chimney now. I have an uncle who has familiarity with installing a similar unit and he has looked over the owners manual and can fabricate the block off plate, and help me install the unit. What appeals to me about the Century CW2500 is the price point (roughly $800 before shipping - haven’t found where I’m getting it from yet tho), the reported durability and quality of the unit, and the ease of installation being within my (un my uncle’s) abilities.

Here are my questions:
1 - is this firebox able to produce enough heat to make a significant difference in our home? (I suspect it is not big enough to rely on it solely, but that it is enough to help, and definitely enough to provide enough heat in an emergency situation). If this is not the case, what is something that is comparable/ better in this price point?

2 - Do I need to have the chimney cleaned before we install the liner?

3 - What type of line should I buy? What specs should I be concerned about (rating, thickness, material)

4 - Do I need chimney insulation as well, to go between the liner and the chimney? Our chimney is sandwiched between two rooms, it is not exposed on the outside, except for the top 5 - 6 feet on the roof.

Here are a couple of pictures which may help: The first is the current )broken) fuego insert. Next is the back side of the chimney. Then the outside of the same chimney, and finally the front of the fireplace again.

I have already found this forum an approachable community who know far more than I do on this subject, though I apologize for the long post. If there’s anything I’m missing as I plan this out, please fill me in. I have purchased nothing yet, but plan to begin this in the next two weeks, or as soon as I have enough information to feel comfortable moving forward. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1775.JPG
    IMG_1775.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_1777.jpg
    IMG_1777.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 247
I just got a quote for the liner, and installation kit which includes a chimney cap and liner insulation. The cost was just under $700, before tax. This was for a 25' length, though I haven't yet measured the exact length. Does this seem appropriate?

Liners run 300-400. Labor 300? Not bad.

Here are my questions:
1 - is this firebox able to produce enough heat to make a significant difference in our home? (I suspect it is not big enough to rely on it solely, but that it is enough to help, and definitely enough to provide enough heat in an emergency situation). If this is not the case, what is something that is comparable/ better in this price point?
As long as the wood is well seasoned you will get enough heat to make a difference. It may not be enough to heat without supplementing on the coldest days, but should carry the house heating when temps are milder. With a 2 cu ft firebox overnight burns will be possible, but probably not on the coldest days.

2 - Do I need to have the chimney cleaned before we install the liner?
Yes, definitely and thoroughly.

3 - What type of line should I buy? What specs should I be concerned about (rating, thickness, material)
A good insulated stainless liner should suffice.

4 - Do I need chimney insulation as well, to go between the liner and the chimney? Our chimney is sandwiched between two rooms, it is not exposed on the outside, except for the top 5 - 6 feet on the roof.

Yes, I would insulate. Ranch chimneys are generally not the tallest. Insulation will keep the liner safer, cleaner and will assist drafting on milder days.

On a budget, I would look at the Englander 13NCi insert as an alternative first choice. Second choice would be the Drolet Escape 1800 insert.

Reactions: wildwildwest
That's a little ,more than what I paid but I bought a few years ago so inflation probably bumped the price up a bit. I would look at something bigger than 2 cf box, you'll make a bigger dent in your oil bill and fill the stove less often.

That's a little ,more than what I paid but I bought a few years ago so inflation probably bumped the price up a bit. I would look at something bigger than 2 cf box, you'll make a bigger dent in your oil bill and fill the stove less often.

Are there any that are decent quality for under the $1K mark? The two mentioned above are about $1100, based on a very quick search, though the one is available from the home depot which will cut down on shipping charges, which is a plus.

Are there any that are decent quality for under the $1K mark? The two mentioned above are about $1100, based on a very quick search, though the one is available from the home depot which will cut down on shipping charges, which is a plus.

Inserts are usually more expensive than stoves due to extras like the outer air jacket, surround, blower etc. I doubt you will find much better deals unless you look for a used one.

Inserts are usually more expensive than stoves due to extras like the outer air jacket, surround, blower etc. I doubt you will find much better deals unless you look for a used one.

I would be more than happy with a stove. Is it practical to build a hearth out in front of the fireplace and put a stove on it in front of the fireplace? Could i then run the piping up through the chimney? Clearly, I am very ignorant at this point regarding wood stoves. I know I want one, and I have the space for an insert... beyond that, I'm just learning.

To do this you would need a rear exit stove. Except for a Buck model 261 these stoves will be cast iron or soapstone and starting around $2000. The Englander insert is a good value.

Another (optional) rear-vented steel stove is the High Valley 1600: http://www.highvalleystoves.com/stove1600.php
You could inquire about its price; there are dealers in PA. The good news is its rear-exit should fit under your fireplace lintel. Most other rear-vented stoves require a taller fireplace opening than 27.5".

$1800 stove. Add $175 for blower.

Last edited:
On a budget, I would look at the Englander 13NCi insert as an alternative first choice. Second choice would be the Drolet Escape 1800 insert.
We recently put in a 13nci. Cleaned chimney, cleaned fireplace, and relined with insulation and a block off plate. Though my situation may be different than others, the firebox is not big enough for our needs, we rely on on pellet and wood as our only heat source. Its a great stove that puts out a lot of heat for the size, and IMHO has a good blower included in the price, but in the future we will get something that holds more than a few splits at a time, stoking frequently gets tiresome.

Status
Not open for further replies.