New Hampton i300 air flow issues - Fire burns to slowly.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmborn

Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2008
Eastern MA
I just had my new Hampton HI300 insert installed. I have the draft control all the way open but the fire is burning very slowly. It is very hard to get a fire going (I need to leave the door open for a while) and once it is going, it burns very slowly. If I close the draft control at all, the fire dies. When I open the door a crack, the fire roars.

I have a Hampton H200 upstairs and when the draft control is open it is night and day. It is obvious that the firebox on the insert is not getting enough air.

The insert was professionally installed. I don't know all specifics, but they said they used a full liner and said they sealed the top. I have the oversized enclosure and they did use the insulation in it. Any ideas on what I can do to improve the air flow? Could this be a backflow issue from outside? Could something be blocking the air intakes? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Don't know if its available for that insert but, did they install an outside air kit? in not, is there a knock out that was supposed to be knocked out for combustion air? How tall is the liner? Might be a draft issue. Is the other stove running at same time? Try cracking open a window nearest the insert and see if that helps. If it does you have negative pressure going on.

I tried the window but that didn't seem to make a difference. How can I tell if there is a backdraft, and if there is, what can I do about it? A while back they had to install a blower on my boiler burner to create the right air flow so it is very possible I have some draft issues. I checked the manual and there doesn't seem to be any cutouts or outside air kits needed.

Thanks!

I'm not too familiar with the Hampton, thats the hearth heater right? It is a gorgeous insert. I was almost going to get it, but the firebox was a lil small for my needs.
I wonder where the combustion air comes from? Thats why I asked if there is a knock out. How tall is the chimney, and it does not share the same chimney as another appliance does it?

Back puffing is due to poor draft, negative pressure, or both.
Every time you opened the door smoke would pour into the room.
How hot have you been able to get it?
If the chimney is too short, you could have poor draft.

You do have the combustion air set to the right position? Just trying to rule out the obvious.

Yes, Same wood I am burning in the other stove and it lights right up and burns great. Considering the draft control is all the way open, the flames move very slowly. The fire looks similar to when I set my other stove's draft control 30% open. BTW, the chimney is not shared by anything else.

I think it is a 20 foot chimney and the cap extends above the roofline 3+ feet. There is much more than 10' around the chimney in all directions.

When I open the door, smoke does not pour out. the stove seems to be burning just like my other does when I have the draft 1/2 closed. when I open the door, the fire burns great. The control is definitely all the way open :) Now that the fire is going, it is a nice slow burn. Problem is it shouldn't be this slow!

Hmmm stumped. Hopefully some Hampton owners will chime in. How long ago was it installed? Just to be sure, check the chimney cap, make sure its not gunked up.
when it cools, look inside make sure nothing is blocking the outlet. I gotta hit the hay, but will return tomorrow.
Theres got to be an answer.
You can also call the dealer that installed and see what they say. Don't let them short talk you.
Catch ya tomorrow.

P.S. is the chimney on an outside wall of the home? Is the liner insulated? Block off plate below damper area is preferred also.
See ya tomorrow.

Our Hampton insert drafts like a SOB, all I do when reloading is leave the door cracked for a minute to get the flames going good, close the door while leaving the draft control all the way open for 10-15 minutes until the logs are good and charred, then close down the air to roughly halfway to three quarters closed. We have a 25' exterior chimney with 6" ss liner, blockoff plate, no insulation, and in a much milder climate than yours.

I'm no expert on this, but sounds like you have some kind of draft issue or other problem if you're using well seasoned stuff. Good luck.

I have the hampton. It is touchy like most new stoves as far as the dryness with the wood. If in doubt let it rip a little longer with the draft wide open and then choke it down. You may be closing it down too early. Maybe there is a difference in the chimneys? Are both lined? If it still is failing call the dealer back. I have never had it happen but I have read where the screen on the cap gets gunked up and hinders the draft drastically. You really have to get up to the stack to see it. If that does not fix it I am out of ideas. Good luck, cool fires suck and I know you spent too much money to not enjoy it!!! Hopefully it will be a quick fix!

Status
Not open for further replies.