New Harman p43 that seems to be burning too many pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
On my P61, I get a bag a day when it’s cold out, -40f is about a bag and a half 1500sq ft one level

same as what? normal stove mode settings like 3-4 feed rate i would get 80 degrees.
Instead i am at constant 72 degrees at the low feed setting.. temp at #6...doesn't budge 1 degree above or below that..
Well, I did not see any mention of a temperature change in your first reply..
You mentioned now 72° constant. I missed the part where it used to be 80°.
Leaving that out, made it appear that you were still at 72, with half the pellets...

Dan

Reactions: Tonyray
Yep,Just read this thread, and am still shaking my head.

What kind of a burn time would be considered normal for a bag of pellets? I realize there are variables, but I'm getting around 14 hours out of a bag and that is on the number 2 setting for feed rate. Something seems way out of whack as I was told somewhere around 24 hours out of a bag. This is a brand new Harman p43 and I am using Pur Heat pellets. I am loving the heat, but it's coming a
Leaving that out, made it appear that you were still at 72, with half the pellets...

Dan
Understand. My bad.. surprisingly, a pile of pellets stay in front of the auger and not in the auger as I was apprehensive of running the low feed rate. Of course this all goes out the window when outside Temps get 45-50 and above. It's just too warm to run stove mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb
Understand. My bad.. surprisingly, a pile of pellets stay in front of the auger and not in the auger as I was apprehensive of running the low feed rate. Of course this all goes out the window when outside Temps get 45-50 and above. It's just too warm to run stove mode.

Which is why I don't understand when people have told me in the past that using feed rate will ruin the auger. The fire stays away from the auger, unlike the deep throat/at the auger burn when stove is idling.

Which is why I don't understand when people have told me in the past that using feed rate will ruin the auger. The fire stays away from the auger, unlike the deep throat/at the auger burn when stove is idling.
Agree. As in room manual.

Dan
Think i posted to someone about that later on in this thread.

I go through slightly over a bag a day, if it gets down in to the teens or single digits it uses more of course. I run a Skytech remote stat set at 71 over night and 74 through the day, stove is set in room temp, manual, 3 feed rate. I have never tried messing with the feed rate. Heating just under 1K sq foot, low ceilings, I do think I lose a fair amount of heat through the 2 foot square vent/outlets for the heat pump that are in the ceiling. I had thought about trying to cover them some how. When they were put in they put cheap ones in with out any of the dampers in them.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Interestiing side affect. My lower ashpan compartment was white powdery ash. Even the bracket that covers the exhaust tunnel.. never saw white before. The above compartment was normal looking pellet ash residue on the walls.

I go through slightly over a bag a day, if it gets down in to the teens or single digits it uses more of course. I run a Skytech remote stat set at 71 over night and 74 through the day, stove is set in room temp, manual, 3 feed rate. I have never tried messing with the feed rate. Heating just under 1K sq foot, low ceilings, I do think I lose a fair amount of heat through the 2 foot square vent/outlets for the heat pump that are in the ceiling. I had thought about trying to cover them some how. When they were put in they put cheap ones in with out any of the dampers in them.
Velcro and some naugahyde. That is what I made for my camper vents, for camping in cold weather.

Reactions: bogieb
Filled the hopper last night at 8pm, set feed rate at 1.5. At 6:30 this morning it was 73 downstairs, 70 up, used 1/2 a bag in 10.5 hrs. Bumped the feed rate to 2, went food shopping. Got back an hr later, 76 down, 73 up. Put back down to 1.5 as sun is hitting the house now.

I've never had the fire be anywhere but away from the auger even in maintenance burn. But I've been using the Rutland Creosote Remover spray on the auger and the back of the burn pot for a few years now just in case. Helps keep speed bumps down during low burns and when cleaning a quick spray lets any that do form come right off easily.

sam

Filled the hopper last night at 8pm, set feed rate at 1.5. At 6:30 this morning it was 73 downstairs, 70 up, used 1/2 a bag in 10.5 hrs. Bumped the feed rate to 2, went food shopping. Got back an hr later, 76 down, 73 up. Put back down to 1.5 as sun is hitting the house now.

I've never had the fire be anywhere but away from the auger even in maintenance burn. But I've been using the Rutland Creosote Remover spray on the auger and the back of the burn pot for a few years now just in case. Helps keep speed bumps down during low burns and when cleaning a quick spray lets any that do form come right off easily.

sam
What mode were you using???

I had been thinking of trying to block two of them just to see if it actually makes a difference.

My P68 only uses over a bag a day when the highs are in the teens. I always run it on room temp manual set at about 75 degrees, which makes the small finished basement over 80 degrees and the kitchen between 72-74 degrees.

This winter most nights I turned it off when we went to bed and then on in the morning for a few hours, then on again in the afternoon/evening. If the house cooled down below 70 during the day, (usually late afternoon), my wife would kick it back on. We only left it on all night if it was going to be single digit lows. I think we saved a lot of pellets that way.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I have an absolute 43 and it is calculating out at 1 bag for 16 hrs. That's when the basement is warmed up and it isn't brutally cold (below 10). You know, as a first time pellet stove owner, I also expected much better. When the dealer looked the basement over he said the 43 would roast the basement out. I can say it adequately can keep the basement at a steady temp, but that is about it. We have a Hitzer 50-93 hard coal stove upstairs and it is truthfully amazing. In hindsight we should have bought a smaller coal stove for the basement. If available, hard coal is the only way to go!
Sounds like you didn't get a big enough stove, and your basement might not be insulated as much as the dealer thought.

What settings are you using?