New harman PXX-C models

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
Did you folks notice that Harman now has 2020 compliant C models on the EPA approved list. The previous models were much too dirty to pass so something has changed. They increased the efficiency too.

Good news. I wonder what was done.

The C models are starting to show up in the EPA list. 2020 certified stoves are shown in green.

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 10.35.55 AM.png

The testing is now starting to show up in the EPA certification section of the Harman website. Look for the -C after the model name.
https://www.harmanstoves.com/about-us/epa-certification

Reactions: Highbeam and Mt Bob
Thanks,begreen.Picked a p43c and just quickly scanned info, will research more later,but noticed a few things.The control board does not say room temp,stove temp.,it says room temp, constant burn.The test conditions do not take in emissions during a warm up or cool down period.Warm up and high test use feed setting slightly above 4, but,when med. and low testing, the feed is turned way down, to slightly above 1.The test settings were "as per manufacturer recommendations". I did quite a bit of testing on my Harman,this winter, with different generation control boards, and with the larger replacement drive gear, for the auger, and the relation between the 2.Yes,when turning the feed rate way down, stove does burn much cleaner, stays cleaner longer. Heat output is greatly reduced, especially if measured over time. Then there is the big chance of burning off the end of the auger, if run this way for extended periods of time.Now,do not get me wrong, I am all for lower emissions, but this test scenario appears to me to be a "possibly can meet this standard", not a true world test. Kind of like how older fuel mileage tests were preformed. A beginning is what I see this as.Time will tell, and I will study it more.

Hello
The new EPA requirement is 2.0 GPH grams per hour of smoke or less. This means that combustion should be close to 35 parts air to 1 part fuel.
For some stoves the manual damper rod must come out and variable exhaust blower speeds will help maintain this mixture. More work for the control panel but less work for us. :)