New hearth pad construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TomMcDonald

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2022
Australia
Hi experts,

I need to install a new freestanding stove which requires a hearth of only ember protection. I have purchased porcelain tiles and will use a timber surround.

My situation is that the floor is currently 3/4" tongue and groove floorboards which will be overlaid with floating floors (about 1/2" thick). The manufacturer of the floating floors advises against putting a wood stove over the floor as it will inhibit expansion and contraction.

My plan is to construct the hearth, screwed into the current flooring and install the floating floor later, around the hearth and using trim to cover the expansion joint of the floating floor.

My question is: Would it be OK to lay two layers of 1/2" plywood, followed by 1/4" cement board (tile underlay) with tiles laid atop the whole shebang? I can't find 1" ply otherwise I'd use that instead of two layers of 1/2". I'm wanting plenty of height without building a frame so that when the new flooring is in place the hearth is still elevated from the rest of the floor.

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Just use 3/4" plywood and 1/2" cementboard. That will give you the same profile. Or, they sell 1 1/8" plywood sheets. This is for keeping a floor very rigid under tiling. It's what we put down for our bathroom floor. But for a hearth, I would use the 3/4" ply.

Just use 3/4" plywood and 1/2" cementboard. That will give you the same profile. Or, they sell 1 1/8" plywood sheets. This is for keeping a floor very rigid under tiling. It's what we put down for our bathroom floor. But for a hearth, I would use the 3/4" ply.
Thanks. I'll try and find some that thick.
So best to use one layer of ply rather than two.

Thanks. I'll try and find some that thick.
So best to use one layer of ply rather than two.
It's easier, the plys are bound to each other, and may be less expensive. If you can't find it, I'd go with easy to buy 3/4".