New Hearthstone Clydesdale 8492 Insert Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scott from Akron

Sep 7, 2022
Akron, Ohio
We are enjoying the first true burn after breaking in our new 8492 series Hearthstone Clydesdale insert. I self installed the unit in our main floor living room (ranch home) which wasn't too bad. We love the looks and are enjoying the dancing flames. In our basement we've had a large Timberline stove since the early 80's (bought my parents home). It still functions great but the Clydesdale will be our go to unit now. Being able to see the flames in our living room is fantastic. We were initially looking at the Blaze King Sirocco insert but chose the Clydesdale for several reasons.

First, although I like the looks from a distance, I did not like the relatively thin sheet metal face and surround material of the Blaze King which that I felt may not stand up to accidental dings (I have 8 year old twins. You never know). When I saw it at the dealer I wondered if it was really all together but it was. The Clydesdale, on the other hand, has a very solid cast iron exterior and surround which I felt would stand up to just about anything and at most require touch up paint. I'm sure the Sirocco is a fine unit, but for $4k plus, I would have expected a more solid feel from Blaze King.

Secondly, while I liked the Blaze King's auto control function we really wanted to see dancing flames from a secondary air inlet system. I may be wrong but I don't believe the Sirocco had this and, once set low, would just glow as it sends everything through the cats. With the Hearthstone unit on low it still has dancing flames from the secondary air inlet before it sends the gases through the cat system. We wanted that effect and it does not disappoint.

Lastly, the Blaze King was flush mount only and liked the idea of being able to project the unit out into the room if I wanted. In the end, I did install it projected fully and like that look best. From what I've read here, it will heat the room better that way too.

All in all we're very satisfied with our purchase so far.

Thanks for the review. I think this is the first for the hybrid Clydesdale. It's a handsome heater. I'm glad to hear that it's working well for you. One unique aspect of this insert is that the body is cast iron instead of steel. Another nice feature is that the depth is adjustable from 12.75" to 16.6". The insert also has a configurable flue collar which is a nice detail.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
@Scott from Akron I'm debating between a Lopi Evergreen and Hearthstone Clydesdale. Would you recommend the Clydesdale over the Evergreen? How long would you say your Clydesdale takes to get up to temperature in the morning? Also, are you using it for your primary heat source?

@Scott from Akron I'm debating between a Lopi Evergreen and Hearthstone Clydesdale. Would you recommend the Clydesdale over the Evergreen? How long would you say your Clydesdale takes to get up to temperature in the morning? Also, are you using it for your primary heat source?
While I have no experience using the Lopi, I'm really happy we got the Cyldesdale. We did look at the Lopi Evergreen and liked it's looks. I'd made a spreadsheet of 12 units that we liked, comparing sizing, features, and pricing, a tax credit info. The Evergreen was in the running because it would qualify for the tax credit and yet didn't have a CAT. Also, it could project out like the Clydesdale which is what we were looking for. One thing we didn't want a flush unit. What I didn't like was the hot air start feature, which seemed gimicky to me, and just another thing to break/repair/maintenance. It could be the best thing ever, but it was too new to tell. Also, the Clydesdale could hold a larger log than the Evergreen. 24" vs 20.5". We already had a large amount of wood seasoning that was a larger cut than the Evergreen could handle. My Clydesdale is putting out good heat within about 15 minutes in the morning, starting with a good bed of coals. It's still blowing warm air in the morning when I wake. Yes, we've been using it as our primary heat source. Looking at the chimney and not seeing any smoke is a nice, knowing we're getting way more heat per log than our old Timberline in the basement.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJSullivan56
Is there anything to watch out for with the Clydesdale based on your experience so far? It seemed like the cleaning of the blower was a little more intensive compared to the Evergreen. Also the break in process for the unit also seemed a bit more involved.

That being said, I am leaning towards the Clydesdale so far because I prefer the look of it over the Evergreen and it has the tax credit whereas the higher up models from Lopi (Medium Flush) do not apply.

The break in was a simple process. Small fire at first, a complete cool down, and a few successively hotter ones with cool downs in between and it's seasoned. I bought a cheap laser thermometer that helped keep it in the range needed. The look of the insert was a major part of our decision as well.

It seems a few others here have had some minor issues with their new Clydesdales but mine was fine. One issue I read about was a missing plug/bolt under the top grate that was sent out later. Another was a filing touch up on the top grate which wasn't resprayed with paint. Some people have had an issue with the bypass getting stuck. The store I bought from told me to ensure the flue collar lock arms were oriented in a certain direction on install or it may catch the bypass mechanism. That may have been the issue.

As far as quality, I'm happy with mine. I'm in the electrical distribution world and we're seeing a lot more quality issues from major manufacturers. The labor issues is causing it and I wouldn't necessarily single out Hearthstone for having misses on their production line. I did, however, ask my dealer to open the crate and inspect my unit unit for any defects or missing parts before I took it. I didn't want to be the guy that ended up missing a crucial part, not being able to use it, waiting on a 4 month lead time or something. That's a real concern in today's supply chain. I'd do that with any stove today.

I never compared blower cleaning, but when I had it opened up it didn't seem like it would be too bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdocod
Regarding Scott having his dealer open the crate and inspect for missing parts. DO IT!!!!!
I recently picked up my new Clydesdale from a reputable dealer about 3 hours from my home and did not have them inspect to make sure all the parts were there. After having the unit installed by a local licensed contractor I had start up problems. It turned out that the unit was missing both catalysts and Hearthstone had sent the old 8491 manual instead of the correct 8492 manual!! The dealer has been good to work with in getting this resolved but it took almost 2 weeks to get the cats and still no 8492 manual. Instead of just sending out new cats, Hearthstone made the dealer do this as a "warranty" issue and then sent me what appear to be reconditioned cats. My dealer has been great but I'm totally unimpressed with Hearthstone's customer service.

Thank you for posting about your Clydesdale install. I'm in NE Ohio and considering one as well.
You mentioned you did NOT want a flush mount. Neither do I. Did you install yours as far into the opening as possible or leave it out a little further?
I noticed there's a range given for how much can be in front of the fireplace wall.

Thank you for posting about your Clydesdale install. I'm in NE Ohio and considering one as well.
You mentioned you did NOT want a flush mount. Neither do I. Did you install yours as far into the opening as possible or leave it out a little further?
I noticed there's a range given for how much can be in front of the fireplace wall.
Mine is installed projected out into the room as far as it will allow. Works well and I like that look anyway.

Reactions: begreen
agreed. i just installed the Osburn 3500 insert and pulled it as far forward as the adjustable shroud permitted.
I'd do the same. Just make sure that there is at least 16" of hearth protection in front of the stove door.

Hi All, Newbie here and just had a Clydesdale installed yesterday and will get it going after inspection tomorrow. Looking forward to the process!!

FP2.jpg

Reactions: kborndale
You can use any kindling. You're just trying to get the stove warm for the first few fires. I wouldn't load the whole stove up with fatwood, but a few pieces won't hurt. Here are the pages in the manual documenting how to break the stove in.

Screenshot_20231115-121326_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20231115-121316_Drive.jpg

You can use any kindling. You're just trying to get the stove warm for the first few fires. I wouldn't load the whole stove up with fatwood, but a few pieces won't hurt. Here are the pages in the manual documenting how to break the stove in.

View attachment 318739 View attachment 318740
Okay thanks. I do have the manual and have read it thoroughly. I figured that would be the answer. I didn't know if fatwood would be a bad thing for the cats. I'll pick up some clean kiln dried kindling for the first runs!!!

Hi, so I did my first couple of small fires successfully. The third one, after it got going on kindling, I added a chunk of kiln dried cedar that came with a friends Solo stove they didn't use. I figured, it was a small split log, well dried and was a good size to go up a notch and get a bit warmer with it. It seemed to be going pretty good at first than I looked back at it and it seemed to be struggling. I opened the door a bit to let some more air in and the coals started to light up a bit more and I tried to use that to get the log going again. It seemed to start to go but then stalled. I gave it a little while to see what would happen. It was just smoldering making smoke.

I opened it once again, and quickly tossed a couple of fat wood sticks in there. I gave them some air and they eventually ignited. Once again, it never really got going all that well, but not too bad and I figure that I just didn't have enough coals going to support the fire. I have a magnetic thermometer on it and during the two first fires, it got a bit over 100 degrees. That last one it got to 200. The fan did come on and it was nice to feel the heat!! LOL Don't know if anyone has any suggestions but, I will keep trying until I get it. It seemed to be drafting well. I was used to my open fireplace but, this is a bit different. A small learning curve and I think we'll be fine.

No, I did not engage the cat as I have not yet hit the temp range to do so. My understanding that it is not good to engage them unless at the higher temps. The Catalytic gauge is very hard to see.

The chimney is 2 stories plus so I am guessing 19-21 feet. The installers had no issue with the height. They did install a new 6" S/S pipe in the existing flue. They are a licensed firm and it passed the town inspection.

I did run it again last night and with a little better results. I'm thinking that I am not loading it enough to get things going in the beginning. I did not feed it after 8:30 and it was not loaded up. The front of the box temp got to about 250 or a little bit more but this morning, it was still a little warm and all but a very small piece had fully burned. I do have quite a build up on the glass door though. I'm guessing from it not getting hot enough.

Hi, so I did get a good burn going yesterday as I was home all day to work with it. I still struggled with lighting it up but once it got going, we got some stability and some real heat. I got it up into the catalyst range and engaged it with no issues. Once it was at a steady burn I backed off the air and it did well. I did throw some of my recently purchased seasoned cord wood in there later on and it seemed to stall a bit. I started it with kiln dried kindle and some well seasoned logs. I did purchase a moisture meter and found that the kiln dried had 0%. My newer wood has 14-15% and the older has 10%. After looking into it further, it seems that as far as hardwood goes, the 14-15% is considered good to use and shouldn't be an issue. So I believe that everything I have is that or lower and I should be good to go.

I'm still having to learn the startup. I haven't been home enough to get it going and keep it going. The wife is not comfortable with running yet and that might be a while. Very soon, she will be recovering from surgery and running it won't be an option for her for a while.

While running it yesterday, it was mid 40's out and we had to actually open some windows we were getting so much heat from it! With fans we were able to push it around and it seems we will be in good shape. It still was in the 70's+ in the main room. and I had it staying steady in the catalyst range. The front of the casting was running around 250-300 most of the day. I let it die down towards midnight and the heat still had not kicked on at 6 this morning. Everything was still warm. I'm sure it would have been good all night but, I had to leave for work and not be able to tend to it. We'll get there!!

Were you resplitting your pieces before checking the moisture? I find it hard to believe anything is 0% moisture, even kiln dried. I also doubt wood that was purchased recently, and not kiln dried would be 15% or lower.