New Hearthstone Clydesdale, Two General Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BroadCove

Aug 11, 2008
Casco Bay, ME
I've been lurking on the board for the past couple of months and just recently had a Hearthstone Clydesdale insert installed into my existing fireplace. The first floor, where the insert is installed, is fairly open, and the chimney is inside the house - dining room on one side and the kitchen/family room on the other. I've always cut wood from my property for the fireplace, but I started cutting more this spring than usual in anticipation of installing the insert. Here are my questions:

1) For those of you with a blower, how do you hide the cord (if you do)? I was thinking of installing a conduit and mortaring over it so that it would blend in somewhat with the slate hearth/rock surround. Any other suggestions?

2) My fireplace is double-sided. When I bought the house, I installed glass fireplace doors on one side to elminate the cross-drafts that would occasionally result in smoke wafting into the living areas instead of up the chimney. That worked surprisingly well, and the doors are still on the dining room side of the fireplace (where the insert isn't). I guess the good part of this setup is that heat from the back of the insert will also radiate into the house. The downside, and this is somewhat minor, is that if a light is on in the dining room, you can see that light coming through the gap between the insert and the surround in the other room. I was thinking I could get a metal plate to fit the behind the insert to block the light. It's not a big deal, but I was wondering if anyone else had dealt with the two-sided fireplace issue.

Thank you to all - your posts here have already been very helpful to me as I move from burning wood for "ambiance" to buring wood for heat. I'm sure these are the first of many questions to follow...

Welcome BC. You could put a perforated metal screen on the backside to disguise the stove back and yet allow heat to convect out.

Our freestanding Lopi has a blower kit installed, with the power cord and controller just dangling out the back of the stove. We plug it into a wall outlet right next to the hearth and put a wood bin in front of it. Yeah, it's just laying on the hearth, but we don't even notice it anymore. A nice set of fireplace tools or something would accomplish the same thing. Rick

My cord on my previous LOPI insert was routed in plain site. It was good that way since I could easily remove the blower and take it outside for a good cleaning/beating/lubing. I hated that noisy blower.

Be sure the conduit is large enough to allow you to pull the plug through it.

Thanks, BG, I like the idea of a perforated screen. That may do the trick.

I hadn't thought about the need to remove the blower to clean it out. I think I'll leave the cord as is for now and, if at the end of this season I can't stand the look of it laying there, then do something about it.

Just put something in front of the cord as it exits the fireplace. Hearth tools or a kindling container work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.