New Hearthstone Soapstone Heritage - is this white line normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My house is a passive solar one with several hundred feet of attached Atrium Greenhouse - I have all the humidity I need, and more!

Oh, I totally agree, I could cover it with something. But I just spent $3600 for something that was sold to me as looking like the product I saw on Hearthstones website and glossy sales literature - in which every stove has perfectly matched top stones. If you were TRYING to duplicate a huge scratch, Hearthstone couldn't have done a better job. It stands out, and EVERY person, family and friends, the first thing they say is how did you put that huge scratch on it already - as I have already said, the moment it was unwrapped it stood out like a flashing neon light saying "scratch scratch scratch scratch"........it doesn't match the other stones, it doesn't blend in, it pure lousy craftsmanship.

I was actually HOPING some of my mellow friends might tell me, it's not that bad, but everyone has the same opinion as me - it looks like a scratch.

These stone stoves are so unique and "pretty" that very few people can look back on their stone stove experiences and remember that their stone stove had the same veins. It's like a granite counter top, each is unique and the buyer really needs to see the slab before purchasing. That's the big lesson for all parties, inspect the stove before delivery. Your dealer might even want to keep this in mind for other customers.

I didn't know any better when my heritage was bought. I had them forklift it into my truck and it was on my hearth before being unwrapped so I too could have been disappointed but wasn't. I feel bad for your situation. You're not happy and a bit stuck. You have another option: Stop payment on your CC. Tell the dealer to refund or replace the stove.

I've attached a couple of photos of my heritage after years of burning. It really does darken up and more veins of stone appear and change. I never had a crack but am also a relatively rare operator that actually monitors stove temperatures!

Attachments

• IMAG0400.jpg
    IMAG0400.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 218
  • IMAG0402.jpg
    IMAG0402.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 204
  • IMAG0412.jpg
    IMAG0412.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: bholler
These stone stoves are so unique and "pretty" that very few people can look back on their stone stove experiences and remember that their stone stove had the same veins. It's like a granite counter top, each is unique and the buyer really needs to see the slab before purchasing. That's the big lesson for all parties, inspect the stove before delivery. Your dealer might even want to keep this in mind for other customers.

I didn't know any better when my heritage was bought. I had them forklift it into my truck and it was on my hearth before being unwrapped so I too could have been disappointed but wasn't. I feel bad for your situation. You're not happy and a bit stuck. You have another option: Stop payment on your CC. Tell the dealer to refund or replace the stove.

I've attached a couple of photos of my heritage after years of burning. It really does darken up and more veins of stone appear and change. I never had a crack but am also a relatively rare operator that actually monitors stove temperatures!

Thank you so much for the pictures! You're stove is beautiful. The veins are wide, and look very "Artsy" - they aren't one thin scratch looking line like on mine. I never would have had an issue with a stove looking like yours.......

I'm still waiting now after 2 days to hear from my dealer or Hearthstone.

I have been private messaged saying I am ranting - and I apologize to all, and to the moderators if that's what I am doing and it is not allowed. I'm just extremely upset, and not happy at all with this purchase, and if my dealer or Hearthstone does step up to the plate and give me another stove, I will be happy to post this fact.

The point is taken. Hearth.com is focused on helping others burn safely. No need or desire for endless gripes against any brand.

I don't see it as endless gripes... Thanks to the op for sharing with us, now we can be more aware. It's far too common in the hearth industry that people are unsatisfied with their purchases, manufacturers, and dealer support. We need to get this out in the open to force change where needed.

I don't see it as endless gripes... Thanks to the op for sharing with us, now we can be more aware. It's far too common in the hearth industry that people are unsatisfied with their purchases, manufacturers, and dealer support. We need to get this out in the open to force change where needed.
I am curious what you think needs to get out in the open. The op bought a stove made from natural Stone with natural variation and veins in it. If I had sold it to them I would have gladly changed it out if it was unused but I would charge them for the labor to do it.

This came from a Hearthstone Owner's manual. I suppose they can always claim matching is somewhat subjective.

"When Hearthstone manufactures a soapstone woodstove, we strive to match all the stones on the stove as closely as possible. However, over time, the original stones on your stove will change as mentioned above. In addition, even stone from the same quarry is not uniform in grain, or color."

Thanks bholler, that's the response I would expect from a dealer. Unfortunately, that is not the norm in my area, dealers far too often take customers money, and then drop the ball when it comes to customer service after the sale. That makes for big time buyer's remorse in my experience

Here is a picture of my Mansfield top. It has much darker veins now that it’s about 6 years old.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 84