New here. Guelph stove company coal burning Cook stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

A309

Aug 20, 2023
Val Gagne Ontario
Just got this. Needs a fair bit of TLC and so I'm looking for any advice about getting it functioning/ cleaned up. It's a Guelph Stove Company Strand model coal burner. I want to burn wood as I have a ready supply. The firebox is rough...really just needs fire brick work but this is all new to me. Also, any ideas of possible age? I'm thinking 30' s or 40' s. Putting this little fella in a small cabin. Any help is greatly appreciated.
PXL_20230819_171721436.jpg PXL_20230819_171802900.jpg PXL_20230819_171749329.jpg PXL_20230819_171740932.jpg

We have an identical Strand. This may be of no help to you, as you have now had your stove longer than we have had ours (3weeks). Ours had been converted to gas, probably DIY. We removed the gas fittings and underneath was a removable grate that sits atop the original grate. When the grate is removed, the firebox looks as yours does. It looks like you have all the cast pieces for the firebox? We are missing the piece for the back of the box, as it was removed for the gas fitting. We put a mismatched cast iron piece in temporarily and are using it with the removable grate in at the moment, with poplar for firewood. So far, it is working well.

20231008_142408.jpg 20231008_142938.jpg 20231008_143557.jpg 20231008_145551.jpg

We have an identical Strand. This may be of no help to you, as you have now had your stove longer than we have had ours (3weeks). Ours had been converted to gas, probably DIY. We removed the gas fittings and underneath was a removable grate that sits atop the original grate. When the grate is removed, the firebox looks as yours does. It looks like you have all the cast pieces for the firebox? We are missing the piece for the back of the box, as it was removed for the gas fitting. We put a mismatched cast iron piece in temporarily and are using it with the removable grate in at the moment, with poplar for firewood. So far, it is working well.

View attachment 316391 View attachment 316392 View attachment 316393 View attachment 316394

Very nice! Yes, I have all the firebox iron but the sides are rough as it saw a lot of use. Further research has me thinking this stove is more likely from the 20's or 30's. Mine needs a fair bit of TLC but I'm sure it'll be up and running quick enough.
You're lucky to have that top grate. Mine's gone but I'll fashion something.