New Here ...Hello

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrySelby

Hearth Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
Western Maine Mountains
A few years ago I came east and north some many thousands of miles and settled into Maine, into the town of Cornish. I had lived in New South Wales for most of my life. I used to be a professional hunter/guide.... I hope I am welcome here. I have been thinking of heating with a wood stove this year and would appreciate some imput. Got a small place of 1500sq ft.
Always Yours, Harry

Welcome aboard, lots of great people and info here. If you can give us more info like house layout, insulation, windows doors, how much are you trying to heat, ect, ect, we will all give you are .02 cents worth. also utilize the search feature in the upper left corner, the info is endless.

Hello Tood
Very decent of you to reply so soon... Thanks mate. My new old house is a bit of a tin shack. I think people in these parts refer to it as a trailier.... (sorry for miss spelling) at any rate this humble rust cube is about 14 feet by 60 feet and i am told has new insulation in the cap suited to this area. I think wood is the way I want to go but need close clearances for this trailier type of construction...

Sorry but i think I am describing this place wrong as a trailier.... I think the right term is a large hampster cage...

All help help and suggestions much taken well

Thanks all, Harry

Only certain stoves are allowed to be used in a trailer - so make certain yours is "mobile home approved".

Also, the chimney installation is different - or at least can be. In these cases, insulated chimney is often used all the way down to the stove (supported atop the stove).

A lot of stoves today are mobile home approved - for instance, the Jotul Castine (and other jotuls), Avalons, Englanders, etc. - be sure to look at the manual for the specific stove.

Please check this article for a discussion of stove sizing.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/choosing_a_wood_stove

Well thanks Craig... I do appreciate your advice. I shall seek out these leads...

My Best, Harry

Got a lead on a stove made by "England or English... a #15 for $450" do you you fancy that a good deal for my layout? again 1500sq ft?

yes that is the model ..an Englander 13NC.... he claimed he did burn 5 cord in a cold new england winter with approx the same 1500 sq ft area and same insulation

some people in town say i am better trying to locate an old jotul or such...pre E.P.A. stove as it holds and throws more heat...(full cast iron) vs. EPA steel plate
whats the real truth?
Thanks harry selby

Harry Selby said:
yes that is the model ..an Englander 13NC.... he claimed he did burn 5 cord in a cold new england winter with approx the same 1500 sq ft area and same insulation

some people in town say i am better trying to locate an old jotul or such...pre E.P.A. stove as it holds and throws more heat...(full cast iron) vs. EPA steel plate
whats the real truth?
Thanks harry selby

True ,most old pre EPA stoves throw more heat quickly but also cool off faster and eat much more wood. You will save up to 30% on wood consumption with a new EPA stove and have a longer more even heat output.

my stove is an osburn regent 1000 it is 20 years old and although we don't live in a mobile home our stove is mobile home approved. our insurance company seemed to like that fact and kept saying they are built a little better due to tighter tolerances. don't know if this is true or not but did seem to help with insurance! welcome to a great and very helpful community, good luck.

Thankyou all for your replies... Living in a sardine tin (mobile home) I have a need for close back and side cllearances to combustibles ... My novice guess would be a stove with the properties of a cast iron job with the close clearances of a newer EPA ...Heat shielded Job....

Comments invited
Harry Selby

Harry Selby said:

whats the real truth?
Thanks harry selby

Just curious, who in town is making the recommendations? Any Joe we might already know?

I'm a biased Lopi Endeavor owner, so I can recommend giving the Endeavor a serious look. http://www.lopistoves.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=209#Installation It is mobile home installation approved (must use double wall stove pipe and an outside air kit), and it has pretty close clearance to combustibles (just 4.25" from the back of the stove to the wall as long as you use an approved double wall connector). However, the downside is that the Endeavor will probably be a little more expensive than some of your other options for that many sq. ft.

Check out my Endeavor review for pics and details about the stove. PM me with any questions. Review here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/37171/

Harry Selby said:
whats the real truth?
Thanks harry selby
In the long run, I think you'll be happier with an EPA stove. A properly sized EPA stove will provide plenty of heat and go through a lot less wood.

With that said, you mentioned 1500 sq ft and also later mentioned 14' x 60', which is only 840 sq ft. Size the stove accordingly, but make sure it's big enough to get long burns... nothing worse than having to wake up in the middle of the night to refill the stove, or coming home to a cold house after a long day of work. A 1.x cu ft fire box wont get you through the night, you'll need something bigger. Generally speaking, cat stoves will burn longer without refueling and are typically a little more efficient as well. Also keep in mind there's a 30% tax credit right now for new qualifying stoves. If I was buying new, I'd make sure whatever I was considering qualified for this credit.

If you are going to be burning wood this year, you need to have your wood cut, split, and seasoning yesterday... Get if now if you don't already have it!

The 13-NC seems to work well in Maine trailers.

Attachments

• New Here ...Hello
    papi stove.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 420
PE super27. black door, pedestal... installs easy, outside air ready.. with any stove in a trailer you must: 1. attatch outside air, 2. bolt it to the floor, 3. be grounded to the frame

Please forgive me. In a former post I did indicate my sq ft area as 1500...when it is actually 1680 sq.ft (28X60) ... I llive in a double wide modualar.... PLEASE...I have just gotten this information from the selling company.. I think I do Like the P.E. Stove ... and can you tell me if I am still under the sanctions of the mobule home association?
Thank You Harry

As far as I know as long as the home was brought to the site on wheels it's considered a mobile home whether single or double wide. Also download the stove manual and check out what the requirements are.

I think it is harder to find a non-mobile-home approved stove than it is to find a mobile home approved stove. My hearthstone heritage is mobile home approved as is the blaze king that I have recently been looking at.

Thanks Todd, you seem to be on top of this woodstove game, and I gather have a real love of the correct method of burning....

Thanks for your comments, I will delve further

Thanks Harry

Highbeam said:
I think it is harder to find a non-mobile-home approved stove than it is to find a mobile home approved stove. My hearthstone heritage is mobile home approved as is the blaze king that I have recently been looking at.

Getting the itch eh? It happens to the best of us.

Not at all... I can underwrite my own insurance policy if I wish.
Thanks HS

There are a lot of Modular homes in ME. Sections are made off site and put together on site. As far as I know they are treated the same as stick built as far as Safety Codes go. There area also a lot of double wide trailers in ME and you could have 1 of those. Call a local dealer and explain what you have for a house and I'm sure you'll figure it out together. Also I am going to start burning wood this winter and the issue you should be dealing now is getting DRY wood. What stove you buy is a little more interesting but matters less than dry wood, according to all the experts on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.