new here...pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwl230

Oct 2, 2008
delaware co. pa
just want to say thanx for all the info..been trollin on here for bout 2 1/2 months...im right outside philly airport...made hearth out of 1/2 inch plywood, 1/2 inch micore, which i was able to find , thanx to info on this site, close to me, hardibacker then slate tiles..thinset between each layer..me and the father in law (contractor) installed the BIG E saturday with simpson duravent horizontal corner install...fired it up following tuesday for initial burn....no leaks ..burned hot..here are some pics..again thanx for this site..photos of the burn were not able to download ...too many pixels ...will correct ..then send pictures of big e burning...by the way..got 3 tons pellets from west chester agway for 225 ton in august.agway brand ..called later after getting curious about brand ..and they said they were hamers...thanx again

Attachments

• 111.JPG
    111.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 855
Nice looking setup!

3 bags fit perfect when its empty. That's one of the reasons I went with my big e. So far I'm happy after burning almost 5 tons. It heats my 1800 sq ft home pretty well. The really cold windy nights, it can't keep up. The oil man takes over at that point. Based on last year, I project to reduce oil consumption from 800 gallons to 100 using 6 tons of pellets. Should be significant savings because I bought 4 tons in June @$210 per ton. I hope to pick up 2 more when the prices drop in february..

StoveMiser said:
Nice looking setup!

3 bags fit perfect when its empty. That's one of the reasons I went with my big e. So far I'm happy after burning almost 5 tons. It heats my 1800 sq ft home pretty well. The really cold windy nights, it can't keep up. The oil man takes over at that point. Based on last year, I project to reduce oil consumption from 800 gallons to 100 using 6 tons of pellets. Should be significant savings because I bought 4 tons in June @$210 per ton. I hope to pick up 2 more when the prices drop in february..

Sounds real good!
Also good to read some realistic expectations and the truths like a pellet stove not keeping up when it gets really cold and windy. Especially in a 1800 sq ft house.
I assume you are not using oil for water heating with your projection of 100 gal`s ?

StoveMiser said:
Electric water heater.

Ah, thats what I thought .
Since you are being honest I think it would be rather interesting to know what your KWHR costs (including tax and delivery charges) are and what you can calculate your electric water heating costs are.
I`m seriously thinking about an electric water heater. I used 140 gals from April 8 to Sep. 11 (5 mo) of which very little was used for heat. If I was to calculate that I used 100 gals for hot water in 5 mo that amounts to $400 or $80 per mo.
If I can reduce that cost even slightly I will feel good just using less oil.
I`m not unfamiliar with electric water heating since I`m an electrician and my house was initially built all electric.

Not sure on kilowatts, but my total electrical bill averages about $110 to 120 per month. My cooking stove, hot water and dryer are all electric.

Status
Not open for further replies.