New Home - Old Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MAFire920

Feb 1, 2022
Boston, MA
Hi Everyone,

I have an OLD glacier Bay wood stove build into a fireplace. I was excited to start using it but after speaking with 3 chimney sweeps - none of them are able to inspect it and give it a thumbs up. They basically said since it was DIY sealed into a fireplace they cant get a view into it to see if it is safe. There is no pipe up the chimney, it is a terracotta lined chimney flu which i don't believe is currently up to code in MA. Also it is supported a bit bybricks here- doesn't quite fit in the fireplcae. Is this a full wood stove or an insert?

It is a bit warped on top. Before I have a contractor pull it out and buy a new woodfire insert - how can I determine if it is safe to use as is?

Pretty excited for a newer model with a viewing window but it's not a cheap project at all to buy and install. ugh The one I have in mind based on what's available at my local store is Quadra-Fire Expedition II Wood Insert. Any thoughts on how this would work for me vs trying to keep the old fella updated. Looking for both heating capability but also a good viewing window for the cozy look and feel.

Thank you!

IMG_0377.jpg IMG_7328.jpg IMG_1217.jpg

I would pull it out clean it up a little post on craigslist or facebook marketplace $200- $250. Then have your chimney cleaned and inspected if all is good to go forward with a insert and liner look for a late model used one.

Looks like a slammer install with no flue connection. If so, this is no longer legal and will need a stainless liner on it.

Hi Everyone,

I have an OLD glacier Bay wood stove build into a fireplace. I was excited to start using it but after speaking with 3 chimney sweeps - none of them are able to inspect it and give it a thumbs up. They basically said since it was DIY sealed into a fireplace they cant get a view into it to see if it is safe. There is no pipe up the chimney, it is a terracotta lined chimney flu which i don't believe is currently up to code in MA. Also it is supported a bit bybricks here- doesn't quite fit in the fireplcae. Is this a full wood stove or an insert?

It is a bit warped on top. Before I have a contractor pull it out and buy a new woodfire insert - how can I determine if it is safe to use as is?

Pretty excited for a newer model with a viewing window but it's not a cheap project at all to buy and install. ugh The one I have in mind based on what's available at my local store is Quadra-Fire Expedition II Wood Insert. Any thoughts on how this would work for me vs trying to keep the old fella updated. Looking for both heating capability but also a good viewing window for the cozy look and feel.

Thank you!

View attachment 291299 View attachment 291300 View attachment 291301
If it isn't hooked to a liner it isn't safe to use

Well the good news is when you rip it out and remove those bottom bricks you should have decent height in that opening. Could have a freestanding woodstove also as an option.

8EBFF20C-7C2B-4EA2-9D80-D9DD2FA364AE.jpeg