New home wood stove install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rybern

Aug 21, 2018
NE Alabama
Hey folks,

I posted a similar thread over in DIY and I politely got referred over here.

My background: I have owned and installed a small Duchwest about 15 years ago and it left a good enough impression on me to purchase an Encore all these years later. We haven't purchased the Encore yet. The local Hearth store sells the newer Encore 2040 but said they sometimes get in 2550 and refurbish them.

Wife and I are building a 2060 sqft home and going against the norm(fireplace) and installing a wood stove. :) We are in Alabama and the stove will be supplementary heat. We will be doing a corner install in a 9' ceiling living room. Living room will have tray ceiling and I've thought enough ahead to space the tray 2'6" from the wall(instead of 2'0"). I'm hoping this will allow a straight single wall pipe up to the ceiling and allow plenty of clearance for the double wall pipe through the attic space. I'm considering the 18.5" from combustible material corner to corner distance. Of course the wall will include 1" spacers and 1/2" Durock plus the hearth backing material.

Question 1:
Does the combustible material start at the Durock or do they measure from the exterior of the brick/rock/tile fasade?

Question 2:
We are building on pier and beam foundation. Wife is interested in fairly modern look. Beside brick and rock, what are other good options for hearth and hearth backer? We're considering sliced brick and rock mortared to 1/2" Durock, but we are wondering what other options there might be.

Thanks for your help. If you think I have it all figured out then I mistakenly have you fooled. Please feel free to provide some input and suggestions.

I’ll first start by encouraging you to look at other stoves. The Dutch west is a fairly simple to operate workhorse. The Encore is a very parts heavy complicated design that’s prone to failure.

Other stoves are much easier to fit into a new home too, most only needing somewhere in the 10” distance from a wall. No further wall protection is needed even, just the rear shield and double wall pipe.

I’ll first start by encouraging you to look at other stoves.
I'll second this, design & quality has diminished with this brand, yet cost and repairs have gone up.

Many new free standing stoves have ember protection only for the hearth, that can be a total game changer for you guys with your design, what I would do while shopping is specifically look at the hearth requirements for the stoves you like then build a hearth for worst case scenario if your hurting for time.
Since your building on a pier and beam design, look to incorporate a oak (outside air intake) into the base of the hearth, this will allow the stove to burn outside air vs conditioned air, reducing inside draft, possible burning issues due to new tight cons.

Reactions: webby3650
I agree with the others as far as the stoves goes but as far as your other questions.
1 you measure to the nearest combustible.

2. Simple sheetmetal can look great in a modern design. But really you can use any non combustible.

...it left a good enough impression on me to purchase an Encore all these years later. We haven't purchased the Encore yet.

Wife is interested in fairly modern look.

I’ll “fourth” what the prior three already said about your choice of brands. Look at another brand.

Modern look, 2000 sq.ft. in Alabama, supplemental heat... I’d be looking at the Chinook 20. There are also several Euro stoves, which have very sleek, modern lines, but I’m not sure any of them perform as well as the Chinook, especially in a warmer climate where very low heat output might fit the bill.

I’ll “fourth” what the prior three already said about your choice of brands. Look at another brand.

Modern look, 2000 sq.ft. in Alabama, supplemental heat... I’d be looking at the Chinook 20. There are also several Euro stoves, which have very sleek, modern lines, but I’m not sure any of them perform as well as the Chinook, especially in a warmer climate where very low heat output might fit the bill.
When the time comes to replace my regency it will probably be with a chinook. I love the look.

I really appreciate the input folks. Are the Blaze King 20's basically the same, just different styling? In an emergency, can we still cook on top of any of the three (Chinook, Ashford or Sirocco).

Why do you recommend the 20 over the 30? Our home is 2000 sqft.

I'll look into the outside air intake.

Why do you recommend the 20 over the 30? Our home is 2000 sqft.
A 30 might be more appropriate for 24/7 heating. It depends on use.

Reactions: Ashful
A 30 might be more appropriate for 24/7 heating. It depends on use.

I've been looking at the Chinook and am impressed with info I've seen on BK stoves. There is a lot to like about them. But I can't seem to find a dealer within a few hours of me. :( Their website isn't very helpful in finding a dealer. My local dealer(hour away) sells VC, Enviro, Hearthstone, Buckstove, Jotul and Napoleon.

What I like about the Chinook/Ashford/Sirocco:

1. can be placed closer to the wall (won't take up so much floor space)
2. not designed with a blower in mind
3. simple controls and easy to operate
4. long burn times

Downfall of these stoves: short log capacity. I have already cut a LOT of wood to 20" for the Encore I was planning to purchase. Looks like I might be firing up the chainsaw and cutting everything down.

Last edited:
I've been looking at the Chinook and am impressed with info I've seen on BK stoves. There is a lot to like about them. But I can't seem to find a dealer withing a few hours of me. :( Their website isn't very helpful in finding a dealer. My local dealer(hour away) sells VC, Enviro, Hearthstone, Buckstove, Jotul and Napoleon.

What I like about the Chinook/Ashford/Sirocco:

1. can be placed closer to the wall (won't take up so much floor space)
2. not designed with a blower in mind
3. simple controls and easy to operate
4. long burn times

Downfall of these stoves: short log capacity. I have already cut a LOT of wood to 20" for the Encore I was planning to purchase. Looks like I might be firing up the chainsaw and cutting everything down.
It would be really tough to fill an encore using 20” wood. That’s really pushing it.

I went from a pair of old Jotul Firelight 12's with top load doors, to BK Ashford 30's. I also used to cut my wood 22 inches, for the Jotuls. I could get that length thru the front doors, stacked east-west, and would just keep shorter pieces for dropping in on the top thru the top load door.

When I got the BK's, I ended up having to cut down 30 cords of split and stacked wood down from 22 inches to 18 inches, so I know your pain. How much wood are you talking about, here?

On dealers, I think you might be able to arrange to have it shipped to a local installer, but I don't really know the details on that.

Reactions: webby3650