"New" Homeowner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SS92

Dec 16, 2016
IL/WI Border
Hello folks,

Just wanted to start off with saying this forum is a huge source of information and you all are very helpful. That being said, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with all of this information in trying to figure out how I can convert an old fireplace in my new house to a wood-burning insert (unfortunately not interested in a stove).

Down to the meat and potatoes of this post: I just bought a 1500 sq ft. 3-bed 2-bath ranch home built in 1952, single story with a crawlspace in the Lake County area on the WI/IL border (Brrrrr). In the house, there's a fireplace. It looks like a zero clearance box with a wooden panel surround and a brick hearth. Outside, the chimney stack is manufactured and not a masonry from what I gathered and goes through the attic all the way down. I've attached photos to the bottom of the post. I pulled the panels off of the fireplace and found out it has fans underneath, with an outlet that was never hooked up. I plugged those up to an extension cord and they work like new but it's no blower.

The box itself measures 21" tall, 36" Wide and 17" Deep. The surround including the firebox measures 41" x 40" and it's 26 3/4" to the rear wall, it is an exterior wall. My hopes are to get an insert to help heat the house more evenly, as the fireplace is located in what used to be a garage but was converted to a living room in the 1970's. This room only has one central AC vent and it gets really chilly in here compared to the rest of the house.

The wrinkle to all of this is that I plan on dismantling this fireplace and moving it to the corner of the same room come spring when it is much warmer. We are going to be pulling out a shoe closet and framing up a fireplace and spot for the television to make use of some currently dead space. This will move the chimney to an interior wall.

My question now is what kind of insert will fit my needs and what can I do with the current space for this winter if at all possible? I've been looking to spend anywhere south of $2700 on the insert, that being close to my max. I'm pretty handy and have lots of help, this insert is really meant to help me cut down on natural gas use the next couple of years and to keep the house more comfortable than the central unit can.

Pictures in an Album
IMG_20161217_113007.jpg IMG_20161217_103340.jpg IMG_20161214_202746.jpg IMG_20161214_202828.jpg IMG_20161216_142137.jpg IMG_20161216_142214.jpg

Last edited:
My question now is what kind of insert will fit my needs and what can I do with the current space for this winter if at all possible? I've been looking to spend anywhere south of $2700 on the insert, that being close to my max. I'm pretty handy and have lots of help, this insert is really meant to help me cut down on natural gas use the next couple of years and to keep the house more comfortable than the central unit can.
We need to know what make and model fireplace you have. Very few allow an insert to be put in them and if the fireplace says you cant do it you cant do it.

We need to know what make and model fireplace you have. Very few allow an insert to be put in them and if the fireplace says you cant do it you cant do it.

I looked for a stamp but couldn't find one, do you know of any places to look on it?

Edit: Found it under a thick thick layer of dust and grime. Attaching.

IMG_20161217_113007.jpg

Last edited:
Edit: Found it under a thick thick layer of dust and grime. Attaching.
cant see it can you just give us the make and model number?

cant see it can you just give us the make and model number?

I'll have to figure out how to attach photos.

Here's the info:

Fireplace No: V-479758

Underwriter Laboratories Inc.

Then below it says Preway Built-In fireplace. My google-fu says they are no longer in business.

(This wasn't stamped well, hard to read) Model No: BE411 AP

Code: 9-87

Last edited:
Finally fixed the photos on the main post. Also got a chuckle, because on the fireplace serial plate it specifically says "Do not install an insert" so I have my answer! Now I need help finding some good ZC or freestanding models to install instead. That being said, I'd like to mount a 55" LCD above it when I frame up a wall. Is that possible with the right insulation? I imagine it will lower the lifespan due to heat, but my living space arrangement is a nightmare right now anyways.

A tv behind a freestander won't work out. There is too much heat and the stove pipe would be in the way.

There is a range of options and many threads here on selecting a ZC fireplace. Use the search function to examine options. I listed two cost effective options earlier but there are many more from Kozy, Heat & Glow, Astria, Regency, etc.. A well designed mantel that honors clearance requirements or is non-combustible will help shield the heat somewhat, but the area above the fireplace will get warmer. With the fireplace moved perhaps consider putting the TV where the current fireplace is? It's easier to watch at eye level anyway.

That being said, I'd like to mount a 55" LCD above it when I frame up a wall. Is that possible with the right insulation? I imagine it will lower the lifespan due to heat, but my living space arrangement is a nightmare right now anyways.
I wouldn't do it personally but with a high efficiency zc unit it could be done for sure. Not really with a free stander. My main issue with tvs over fireplaces is the viewing angle is totally wrong they need to be up pretty high to be safe from heat and I find that uncomfortable to view.

Status
Not open for further replies.