New Horizons - sale price & no inventory. Everything OK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PNWguy

Dec 30, 2017
SouthWestern Oregon
I'm looking at boilers, and New Horizons has the 24 & 40 on sale (a few thousand off). The 60 & 80 are also on sale, but there's no inventory. I talked to them a month ago, and they said the sale prices were because there was too much inventory, and they were just moving a few extra units.

Anybody have any idea what's going on? The "we just need a bit more space" doesn't make sense to me.

Not slumming for rumors, or trying to start anything. I just want to be sure the company is solid before I send them any cash.

The purchase of an Eko 25 went well here. This was several years ago. Xenon seemed to me a straight guy, he is "the guy" at New Horizon. I had one issue soon after using the boiler. He immediately sent me a replacement blower and I sent the original in return. The problem was a pinched wire in the wiring box of the blower, must have come from the the factory in that condition.

A gasifying wood fired boiler delivered for just over $4,000 US was more than I could argue. If purchasing today after years of experience, I woulda bought the 40 instead of the 25. We do well enough with the 25 and way better than previous heating implements. These Eko units are clearly not the top of the heap, but, they do exactly what they should. I compare to the Ford 300 straight six engine, not the baddest of the bad but got the job done and lasted forever.

The 25 or 40 should do well for your region unless you are heating a monastery. Had a chuckle remembering my two years near Salem, do you really need boilers? We did have our shares of wet weather in Oregon for sure but here we see minus F temps every winter. A big thing while living there was viewing Mt. Hood during a clear morning and a bonus was living there on May 18, 1980. In fact I grabbed the wife, kids and nephew to head up to Mt, Hood on that Sunday morning.

My opinion of the Eko: No worries as I am a DYI, if a leak occurs I can weld it, if an electrical issue occurs I can fix it, and well that's it. What else can go wrong? It is very basic as gasifiers go; a water jacket, a primary firebox, some refractory components, a secondary combustion chamber, some exterior cladding and an electronic controller.

It is a good idea to purchase an extra controller ($225), extra secondary refractory tunnel ($110) and an extra nozzle ($94). Two of those items can be considered consumables if initial mods are not implemented, the 3rd is certainly a consumable. The nozzle can be long term if you place an overlay of stainless on the floor of the primary combustion chamber. The controller can be long term if liberated from its enclosure, there can be heat issues with the electronics of the controller. The secondary tunnel is a wear item for sure. In the shop, on a shelf, I have 1 nozzle and 1 controller. I may never need either due to the implemented mods. The secondary tunnel has been replaced once already. This replacement sold by New Horizon is of a higher grade and design, it will last longer than the original. Whenever this wears out, I will do my own thing. At $110 the refractory tunnel is a fair price, if shipped separately the cost could be more as it is heavy.

There are other mods that can be implemented, and in my opinion, done prior to the first fire at little to no cost.

In summary: The Eko boilers are money well spent if you are a DYI kind of person. The iron works of the boiler seem to be up to the long term task. If you are looking for set and forget, there are better options but at a considerable cost increase. At the presently listed prices, in my opinion, warranty is a minor concern. As stated what else can go wrong?

Feel free to ask more in this thread or by messaging.

Reactions: Highbeam and PNWguy
Thanks for the great reply.

I like to comparison to the Ford 6. I'm a big fan of straight sixes, but I tend to lean towards Cummins. :)

I realize that the heat loads here aren't like they are in other parts if the country. In addition, my house will be fairly small. However, I want to keep a 2,000 - 2,500 shop warm all year. I could do it with a wood stove (well, two) but I'd rather not have a fire in the shop along with gas cans, paint, and all that kind of stuff.

I'm also a DIY guy. It's always a difficult choice between the fully electronic thing that works 100% of the time, until it fails - or the simpler thing that isn't quite as nice, but can be worked on.

The price, especially while on sale, is quite good.

I appreciate the time you spent on the reply, and will probably hit you up with a few more questions.

I can vouch for an EKO from Zenon. My 60 has treated me well. They're tough to beat -bang for the buck. I seriously considered a Garn at the time but couldn't see a reasonable return on investment.

I've been expecting to see New Horizons obituary for the past 11 years but he is still chugging along. Doesn't appear from here that the business runs smoothly. I thought the end was here when the turmoil started within the manufacturer's family but I was wrong again.

My 25 is a hell of a good machine for the price. It has far exceeded my expectations.