New insert help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sc00ter079

Dec 3, 2016
Seven mile
I recently was given a older Osborn wood burning insert. Now my question is what all is needed for instal... I know this is a very grey question because most situations are different. The current fire place is on the bottom level of a tri level. Before buying the house the previous owner had a stainless liner installed all the way up. Any tips would be great. I'm extremely handy but new to this stuff. Also if you could help with the cheapest place to get supplies that would be great. Thanks in advance I need to get the parts before my wife spends the tax return on shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The liner should match the insert flue collar diameter. Typically this is 6". Is there a stainless appliance adapter on the end of the liner? If so it may be ready to go. If not then order one.

The liner should match the insert flue collar diameter. Typically this is 6". Is there a stainless appliance adapter on the end of the liner? If so it may be ready to go. If not then order one.

No the liner is much bigger it was just installed because the chimney of the regular fireplace was not in the best shape and we required the fireplace to be in working order before buying the house

No the liner is much bigger it was just installed because the chimney of the regular fireplace was not in the best shape and we required the fireplace to be in working order before buying the house

How much bigger? Can you measure the diameter?

if you could help with the cheapest place to get supplies

There are a number of places that sell supplies, anywhere from Local shops to on line sales, But I would be careful of "the cheapest" ones. They may indeed be cheap for a reason.

If it was sized correctly for an open fireplace it is going to be way too big for an insert. And if it was installed correctly you will really have no way to tie into it either I think you will probably need a new liner for the insert.

Last edited by a moderator: