New install hearth mount plans for input

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Whirled Peas

Mar 7, 2019
Vermont
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I (think) know the drill. :)

I am looking to install a second stove in my some-what leaky, 225 y/o, 1600 sq-ft Vermont home. The house was largely remodeled in the early 1980s (new insulation, storm windows, some air sealing, etc). This fireplace sits in a large living room and has two bedroom doors off it. At the other end of the house (and separated by a narrow hallway with two small doorways) is another, identical hearth that is in the kitchen/dining room. The kitchen has an older 2-door Jotul F400 that has been a good stove and serves that end of the house well. It is simple, produces plenty of heat and we're fine with it.

My issue in wanting a second stove is that the layout of the house is not conducive to airflow and its not uncommon for the kitchen to be 80 degrees and the other end of the house to be 60 degrees. I was imagining installing something with long burn times that would be able to keep the chill off that end of the house without needing to feed a second stove as often as I feed the Jotul F400. Something like a BK Ashford 30 would be perfect but I learned that that particular stove is does not have a fireplace/hearth mount clearance tested like my F400 does and as such the mantel trim would need to be 37" above the top of the stove, which is not happening.

I'm looking for the following inputs from anyone with more experience who might be able to help shorten the path to figuring out this install.

- Would a mantel heat shield be appropriate for this type of situation and are there any code numbers out there for how much they can reduce clearances for mantel trim/mantels? Might that be a way I could make an Ashford work?

- My research hasn't turn up many 'hearth mount' style catalytic stoves. Any you would suggest?

- There are a numerous non-catalytic stoves (such as my F400) that can be safely installed in this space. If I had to go that way, I'd lean towards something like the Hearthstone Homestead.

She who must be obeyed is not interested in an insert. Luckily, I'm not really either.

See photo below for install space. Dimensions:
- 60" across the opening
- 21" from the back of the fireplace to the opening
- 55" total from the back of the fireplace to the front of the hearth
- 48.5" from the floor level to the bottom of the first trim piece
- 62.75" from the floor level to the bottom of the mantel

hearth photo.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful old fireplace. What is the height of the fireplace opening?

A mantel shield should allow a wide range of choices. For a cat stove have you looked at the Woodstock Progress Hybrid? It looks like it will fit in there. It has a 30" mantel clearance that can be reduced to 12" with a mantel shield. In non-cat it looks like the Hampton H300 would work with your mantel specs, maybe the Quadrafire Explorer II too. It's a shame that Enviro hasn't published specs for the Boston 1700 in a fireplace. It would look stunning in this location.

Last edited:
Beautiful old fireplace. What is the height of the fireplace opening?

A mantel shield should allow a wide range of choices. For a cat stove have you looked at the Woodstock Progress Hybrid? It looks like it will fit in there. It has a 30" mantel clearance that can be reduced to 12" with a mantel shield. In non-cat it looks like the Hampton H300 would work with your mantel specs, maybe the Quadrafire Explorer II too. It's a shame that Enviro hasn't published specs for the Boston 1700 in a fireplace. It would look stunning in this location.

Thanks begreen. One of the reasons we don't want an insert is because the original iron fireplace crane is still intact and functioning and it's just a cool bit of history. The opening is 43.5" tall.

I had briefly looked into the PH-- I'll circle back through some of those threads again and see what I learn. I was originally drawn to the BK stoves just from the crazy advertised burn times, but I suppose 12-14 hours should be acceptable, as I do have to get out of bed each morning anyways. :)

I believe that I'm sold on either cat or hybrid stoves for this second stove.

Also-- do I need to purchase a prefabricated heat shield or can I have one built at a machine shop? The mantel trim is 1.1.25" thick and has some fiberglass insulation stuffed behind a ~0.75" gap between some of the masonry and the mantel trim. I'm guessing that should be either removed and replaced with something less combustible or maybe just covered by the heat shield?

Agreed. That's why I haven't suggested any inserts for that big opening. You could contact BK about the Ashford. I would think that with a mantel shield it would be ok. The Ashford already has a convective lid which reduces the radiated heat from the top somewhat. But you will need BK's approval, preferably in writing, for using a mantel shield to reduce clearance. The mantel shield can be made custom by a sheet metal shop. No need to pull the fiberglass stuffing with a shield in place.

I spoke with BK this afternoon and they were very helpful and generous with their time. Top notch from that perspective. I guess my general assumption with calling manufacturers is that 1) they aren't very 'reachable' and then that 2) the person I typically get on the phone is not all that knowledgeable. BK was great.

Unfortunately for the Ashford, BK does not have a tested clearance for mantels with a heat shield and as such the normal NFPA 36" reduced down to 18" is what applies. For my specific situation, that leaves the Ashford a few inches too tall to fit in the opening.

Thanks begreen.

Manufactures can only tell/advise you what is tested and can offer no other modifications.

If it is a matter of a few inches, then a heat shield may do the job and save your mantle. Of course it is done at your risk, but given the limited chances of a BK overfiring, such a situation may fall into your level of comfort. Just a thought.