New install in progress- stovepipe help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

First I'd like to say how grateful I am that this site and forum exist. I've been reading through so many posts as I planned (and built) for a new install as part of doing some renovations on the house.

After I pulled down a ceiling to open up a small vault/cathedral peak, leaving the joist beams exposed I had a local stove shop install a duravent chimney. I am pretty happy with the installer (subcontractor), but the customer service is a mess. They didn't install the stove pipe at the same time (my fault for saying I wanted a "chimney" vs "chimney and stovepipe" install.) I'll even take that one. Now that I have waited two more weeks for an install slot, they showed up with a complete mix of manufacturers pipe. So now I am stalled.

I am usually inclined towards DIY, but a) liked the idea of outsourcing FIRE and b) do try to buy local when I can. That said, I was just told it would be at least another week or so before they could get back to me with proper stovepipe system.

Presuming I may be moving back to DIY for the stovepipe connect (hey- the hole in the roof part is done!), I could use some input on the layout. The stove sits centered under the peak, and the chimney exits off-peak. With the stove adapter and chimney adapter installed (they brought these proper Duravent items), there is 95" between the two. It looks to be about an 18" offset to the right to make the connection. I was thinking that I'd go with:

48" from the stove
40"-60" telescoping
45 degree elbow
45 degree elbow

I presume I'd need a short length (12") to bridge the elbows.

Do I need to put a straight length between the chimney adapter and the elbow?

Open to any questions of course, thanks for your help. SO frustrating! If I wanted to DIY this part of the reno, I would have started that way and saved a few bucks!

I've attached a pic of where we stand. (You'll see some finishing work is still outstanding on hearth pad and wall!)

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20140304_104458.jpg

Holy crap! Whaddya use for bait on that fish hook? Sorry...
Anyway, you should be able to look up Duravent offset charts to figure out what length goes between your offsets.
A 12" section may be too long, or it may not be long enough. Hopefully Duravent has a short "slip" section available...
NFPA-211 does not specify whether or not you must use a straight run between the elbow and a chimney adapter.
As long as the elbow is secured with three screws to the adapter, it'll meet code.

Last edited:
Holy crap! Whaddya use for bait on that fish hook? Sorry...
Anyway, you should be able to look up Duravent affset charts to figure out what length goes between your offsets.
A 12" section may be too long, or it may not be long enough. Hopefully Duravent has a short "slip" section available...
NFPA-211 does not specify whether or not you must use a straight run between the elbow and a chimney adapter.
As long as the elbow is secured with three screws to the adapter, it'll meet code.

Thanks DAKSY. There is some debate around here re: the hook. Some say it was used to lower whale blubber into the cauldrons. One thing is for sure, it starts a conversation! Should have seen me walking through town with it over my shoulder! The original plan was to hang it somewhere over the stove. That side of the room is getting pretty heavy though!

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the offset chart and more than likely come back with more questions. See, this was why I was excited to lay off just one part of the reno on someone.

Ian

Dura-vent does make a DVL 2"-10" slip section.

Thanks for pointing me at the offset charts- the fog is lifting a bit now. Looks like I'll need something more like 18" between the elbows. My revised plan, from top to bottom:

Ceiling adapter
45 elbow
18"
45 elbow
40-68 telescoping
Stove adapter

And I was thinking I should grab a 12" adjustable section in the event that the vertical is shy as it seems to be right on the border.

Thanks for pointing me at the offset charts- the fog is lifting a bit now. Looks like I'll need something more like 18" between the elbows. My revised plan, from top to bottom:

Ceiling adapter
45 elbow
18"
45 elbow
40-68 telescoping
Stove adapter

And I was thinking I should grab a 12" adjustable section in the event that the vertical is shy as it seems to be right on the border.
Then just go with a 12" piece, no adjustment needed since you will have that long slip.

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.