New Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

twier

Feb 27, 2020
Webster WI
Need advice please:

The local dealer installed a new Hearthstone Manchester Truhybrid Friday. I had asked for a complete chimney replacement and the roof flashing was an included $133 line item. As you can see from the last photo they did not replace the rusty old flashing ( 10 years old). When I questioned the installers they said the whole thing would have to come off to do it (the chimney was installed at that point) and besides who ever did the roof put the downside base of the flashing under the shingles as well. They did not want to install the new flashing.

Now the odd thing is the downside base of the flashing is under the shingles but I'm guessing the bottom edge of it does sit on top of an underneath shingle as it has never leaked. Maybe they were thinking they would cause roof trouble trying to pull the old flashing out? Or it was it time to hit the bar?

I'd rather go in, complain to the boss, and have it replaced but should I maybe leave well enough alone and get my $133 back? This dealer appears to employee a bunch of slow readers as I have had a half dozen "miscommunications" with several of them so far to include asking the installer how to check the cat. He was not sure it had one and could not find it!

Your comments will be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1346.JPG
    IMG_1346.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1350.JPG
    IMG_1350.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1347.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 142
Bummer. It looks like they decided it was too much work and bailed. That should not have been done without consulting you first. It's hard to tell from the picture if the flashing is rusting or stained. Has a new roof been put down since the original chimney install? I was wondering if a second roof was laid over the flashing.

Bummer. It looks like they decided it was too much work and bailed. That should not have been done without consulting you first. It's hard to tell from the picture if the flashing is rusting or stained. Has a new roof been put down since the original chimney install? I was wondering if a second roof was laid over the flashing.
I have had a new roof since the original pipe was installed but the old roof was completely torn off. My guess is it was too much work because it was late in the day.

If the flashing is still in good condition and just stained, it could be ok. If it has just light surface rust then it could be wire-brushed and wiped down with Navel Jelly to convert the rust and stabilize. Then it could be painted with a Rustoleum rust-inhibitive paint. If that is the case, get your money back for the flashing and for the labor to install. Otherwise, you may need to get a roofer to do a proper job of installing the new flashing.

If the flashing is still in good condition and just stained, it could be ok. If it has just light surface rust then it could be wire-brushed and wiped down with Navel Jelly to convert the rust and stabilize. Then it could be painted with a Rustoleum rust-inhibitive paint. If that is the case, get your money back for the flashing and for the labor to install. Otherwise, you may need to get a roofer to do a proper job of installing the new flashing.
That makes sense, thanks.