New Jøtul f500 ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
here is the EPA test report. Looks like the fire went out when trying to burn med-low first try, but ambient temp was 75 at the time.

Attachments

• F 500 EPA Test Report CBI.pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 480
I’m very concerned that it doesn’t have a bypass. That’s very weird. The catalyst is unique and pretty large, wonder it costs to replace that V3 cat?

Bi-metallic damper on the secondary intake. Would love to give one a try.

@jotulguy, can you tell us what the warranty is on the cat and the replacement cost of it?
Production isn’t slatted until June/July. So the BOM isn’t compelete yet. Once we settle on that info I would be happy to share it with the group. At that point the warranty will also be settled.

I’m very concerned that it doesn’t have a bypass. That’s very weird. The catalyst is unique and pretty large, wonder it costs to replace that V3 cat?
The reason a by pass isn’t necessary is because the high flow combustor only has a 2.5% obstruction. Meaning it’s 97.5% open space. That obstruction is significantly lower then the normal combustor on the market.

Me too, after lots of other guinea pigs go first!
I’ve been one of the first to use a newly designed stove in the past. It’s not likely to happen again..
Real world experience from an industry professional like yourself is important to us. Feel free to private message me and maybe we can work something out with your local rep.

The reason a by pass isn’t necessary is because the high flow combustor only has a 2.5% obstruction. Meaning it’s 97.5% open space. That obstruction is significantly lower then the normal combustor on the market.

Very cool, but you’re fighting two potential issues here:

1. Folks who load cold, sometimes even wet, wood into a hot stove. There is enormous potential for thermal shock, if the cat isn’t bypassed. This could be catastrophic for ceramic substrate cats, but we’ve seen the steel substrate cats have handled this better.

2. The effect of running 20+ minutes of smoke and un-burned particulates thru that combustor, in the time it takes to get the thing up to temperature on a cold start. Double that time for recreational burners with poor wood supply.

I’m sure your engineers have already given this enormous thought, and have solutions to these problems and others, it will just be interesting to see how well those solutions prove to work over years of operation in customers’ homes.

1. Folks who load cold, sometimes even wet, wood into a hot stove. There is enormous potential for thermal shock, if the cat isn’t bypassed. This could be catastrophic for ceramic substrate cats, but we’ve seen the steel substrate cats have handled this better.

2. The effect of running 20+ minutes of smoke and un-burned particulates thru that combustor, in the time it takes to get the thing up to temperature on a cold start. Double that time for recreational burners with poor wood supply.

I’m sure your engineers have already given this enormous thought, and have solutions to these problems and others, it will just be interesting to see how well those solutions prove to work over years of operation in customers’ homes.
Real world use will tell, but Jotul is not new to this game and may have an interesting solution. Read the testing results. The stove appears to work well under a variety of test conditions and has decent burn time on a partial load of fuel. That said, can a user do damage? Yes, but that is true for any stove, cat or non-cat.

Wouldn't it be delightful if this next gen stove actually performed better than it's venerable predecessor?

That’s part of the reason for the bi-metallic. To help get the combustor up to temp ASAP.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
Interesting. Our F500 continues to perform well but I'd prefer a cleaner burn.
I'll have to check the dimensions of the V3 to see if it fits our hearth.

I'd like to know more about how well this stove works from users' experience; what I have read about it on-line indicate that it is rather expensive. I am entertaining the idea of replacing my Harman Oakwood. My main complaint about the Harman is its tendency to back-puff, plus it doesn't seem to heat as well as it did when we first got it, even after thorough cleaning. Jøtul claims the technology employed by this stove makes it virtually free from back-puffing, but I'd like to hear from users first; a manufacturer can claim anything. Any replacement stove would have to offer the option of rear venting to the wall, with clearances and height compatible with the those of Oakwood; I don't want to have to tear out the wall to relocate the vent pipe slightly higher or lower, although the legs could be shimmed up to raise it and they specify optional short legs if it needed to be lower.

I would assume the Jøtul flue collar is metric and wonder how well that fits a standard 6" pipe. I would assume that as a high-end stove it has a removable ash pan, although they don't mention anything about that in the specifications.