New Jotul Stoves and Tax Credit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paperman

Aug 13, 2010
east coast
I've been looking at buying a new Jotul stove but have been wondering about the 30% tax credit. Looking at prices that people had been paying for the stoves before the credit, it seems like the dealers have just jacked up the prices so the stoves cost the same as they would have before they had the tax credit. Is this my imagination? I've called around to several Jotul dealers and they all seem to have the same price on the stoves.

I know this is the wrong time of the year to buy a stove but I'm just wondering. Also, is there anything similar on the market that is comparable to the Jotul 500 Olso that has a rear flue? Or should I just bite the bullet and go ahead and get it?

Thanks, in advance!

The dealers all have the same price because they sell the products at MSRP. I too struggle when i got to buy something and it is more then i want it to cost. I always think back to my grandfather though who always said " I cant afford to buy cheap tools" I never understood that when i was younger...... it took a few cheap tool purchases for me to fully understand. I would always go back and pay for the good one later in the end costing me more. I dont know about you but if i am putting fire in my house I cant afford to buy a cheap wood stove!

I don't have experience with Jotuls but my impression would be that they are not jacking them up, rather they are just keeping them at MSRP instead of offering sales or specials to bring people in. While the tax refund is there that's a better deal so they don't have to offer it. But once the tax refund is done you will then have to wait till end of season, discontinued model, whatever or not at all so it's still good to get the stove while you can! I am hoping they extend the tax credits on some things, or come up with something similar, I am thinking we might need to do some insulation etc and I doubt we can get it done before Jan so we'll just have to pay full price to save in the long run I guess!

paperman said:
I know this is the wrong time of the year to buy a stove but I'm just wondering. Also, is there anything similar on the market that is comparable to the Jotul 500 Olso that has a rear flue? Or should I just bite the bullet and go ahead and get it?

Thanks, in advance!

This a tough time of year to find a bargain. For "similar" stoves maybe look at the Quadrafire Cumberland Gap, Hearthstone Shelburne, and the Hampton H300.

I've checked with several dealers and they all charge the same, MSRP. So the only difference would be if they happen to have a sale going. We got ours in the spring this year and it was 15% off if memory serves. The smaller dealer here wants to charge shipping since they dont stock alot, so watch out for that too. Other than shipping I have yet to find a place charging over MSRP so no jacking up the prices, atleast around here.

However, if you are comparing to pre-tax credit prices (I mean, over 2 years ago) then its quite possible the prices went up, they tend to do that over time...

paperman said:
Or should I just bite the bullet and go ahead and get it?
I'd just get it. Haven't seen too many jotuls on sale. The ones I have were usually the smaller models. You'll be happy with your purchase.

The Oslo is a fantastic stove . . . and one of the biggest sellers at many Jotul dealerships . . . and so they don't tend to lower the price much. You can ask around, but I found that most dealerships were right at MSRP . . . I finally found one place though that was a little less than MSRP and they had the stove in stock . . . didn't save a lot of money though. On the flip side, I absolutely love this stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.