New Lopi Answer - rusty interior

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jaison

Dec 2, 2022
Connecticut
I just got a new Lopi Answer. Yet to install it, I need to get a new chimney liner.
There’s plenty of missed paint spots inside of the stove, for $3,000 I’d expect a little better. Should I just hit it with the high heat black paint or should I bring it up to the manufacturers? This is my first new wood stove so not sure if this is an issue or not.

D59A23DB-C15B-4AD9-A608-6531717968D9.jpeg 05AE0963-7CEA-4205-A840-07A4A39EE78D.jpeg EDA1D1D2-2FDC-419C-B379-AE89451FD8D6.jpeg CF34B8B3-1262-49F0-9751-910393E6282F.jpeg

I bought the same stove last March. It did not have any rest and it did not look like that and I would be upset. If you bought it from a dealership, did you send them these photos because they need to make this right.

That is absolutely normal. All that paint will be gone after the first couple fires anyway no reason for them to put the time into getting it any better

the paint doesn't matter. I'm surprised there's even any interior paint. Perhaps it's there to hide that ugly welding job. I guess as long as it sticks it doesn't matter either...

I disagree with everyone that says the paint doesn't matter. When I pay $3,000 for something I want it to be damn near perfect. If we don't hold these manufacturers to a high standard, then why should they even try. This economy expects all of us to just take what we can get and be happy, but I think it's wrong to lower our standards.

At the end of the day, I asked myself if it's worth the trouble...

Reactions: marty319 and Jaison
Looks more like smoke residue from the welding.

Huh? There's spatter everywhere and chicken-chit welds (standard farmer's term) everywhere. Amateur.

Yeah the interior paint doesn't matter but those welds are embarrassing. But i also do agree with vintage girls point. No pride in workmanship there.

Reactions: Newbie78
"We build the finest steel wood burning stoves on the planet".

this is the first line from Lopi's website on their steel stove description.

"We build the finest steel wood burning stoves on the planet".

this is the first line from Lopi's website on their steel stove description.
What planet are they referring to? clearly not this one.

Now that you mention it those welds are pretty sloppy. I ran to look inside my stove and mine does not look like that.
But the paint is all gone now isn't it?

Reactions: marty319 and Jaison
Mine is a little rusty too in places and I've been burning but the welding job was a little better. There are some places where it was kind of sloppy like that bracket that holds back the bricks was only spot welded in two places and on the left side of my stove the bricks are a little bit loose but the dealer said it didn't matter lol
Yes the bricks are a little loose on mine as well. Certainly better than mine though, for claiming to build the best stoves and charging a pretty penny for it they sure are doing it cheaply.

Mine is a little rusty too in places and I've been burning but the welding job was a little better. There are some places where it was kind of sloppy like that bracket that holds back the bricks was only spot welded in two places and on the left side of my stove the bricks are a little bit loose but the dealer said it didn't matter lol
The brick are supposed to be a little loose. Ash will tighten them up shortly and believe me when it's time to change brick you don't want it to tight

Reactions: VintageGal
The brick are supposed to be a little loose. Ash will tighten them up shortly and believe me when it's time to change brick you don't want it to tight
Yeah that makes sense. I had to take the bricks out of my old Lopi to get it off the hearth and that was a pain. I was hoping the installation would be as simple as removing this one, lifting liner a little and sliding new one in, but the liner is pretty old it seems, won’t budge and it cracked and I can’t get it out. So now it’s time to hire the professionals.

The welds are warrantied. No worries.
I doubt your friends and family are interested in performing the gymnastics required to inspect the paint job :eek: inside your firebox. After a year of burning the OP will likely laugh looking back at this post as there will not only be poor paint coverage in the firebox..... There will likely be zero paint coverage in the firebox!
Burn on and enjoy your new stove. Stay warm and safe.