New Lopi Flush Large Next Gen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
More hardwood - some of the drier stuff that I couldn’t measure accurately as it was below the scale.

View attachment 280953 View attachment 280954 View attachment 280955
Good to see a MM being employed. Curious? Are you simply pulling splits out of your stack and applying the meter to the existing outside surface? If so it means next to nothing in most cases. Not to be argumentative (useless endeavor) here but each split that you test needs to be re-split and tested on the freshly exposed inner face for any semblance of accuracy. If not its a waste of effort with useless results. My experience. Good luck and let everyone know the testing method being shown.

I really cannot be any more clear than I have been. Sorry, (to those who have been polite) but I am not engaging any further on that topic.

temps here - summer time we have a few weeks of over 100' and our wintertime temps are around 27 overnight. Altitude 2000feet.

I will let you know what the installer thinks re insulating the unit from the surrounding masonry. I think it’s most likely the cause of the low output issues and slow start times. Together with a user manual that is a little optimistic/misleading, the generally lower flame level of hardwood, and probably having unrealistic expectations of improvements over the open fire.

Last edited:
I can't wait for cooler weather to try mine out.... it was 35°C here today.

As I said in the other thread, this unit was a change from my old unit, I would think it would be a big adjustment from an open fireplace.

The woodstove and chimney is like a draft-powered engine. It needs to be loaded up (with dry wood) and given a lot of air to get it heated up to 'start the engine'. With your shorter stack (mine is 25' tall) I would imagine it could be a struggle to 'get the engine started'.

Loading it up the **second time** onto a big coal bed, and it was a different animal and took right off (my, um, one time burning it back in May). Threw a TON of heat.

I can't wait for cooler weather to try mine out.... it was 35°C here today.

As I said in the other thread, this unit was a change from my old unit, I would think it would be a big adjustment from an open fireplace.

The woodstove and chimney is like a draft-powered engine. It needs to be loaded up (with dry wood) and given a lot of air to get it heated up to 'start the engine'. With your shorter stack (mine is 25' tall) I would imagine it could be a struggle to 'get the engine started'.

Loading it up the **second time** onto a big coal bed, and it was a different animal and took right off (my, um, one time burning it back in May). Threw a TON of heat.
I have 15 ft of the chimney which is a minimum, no problem starting/keeping/reloading. By-pass makes it even easier than my other non cat stove. The better wood -the better results I get.

Reactions: woodgeek
I really cannot be any more clear than I have been. Sorry, (to those who have been polite) but I am not engaging any further on that topic.

temps here - summer time we have a few weeks of over 100' and our wintertime temps are around 27 overnight. Altitude 2000feet.

I will let you know what the installer thinks re insulating the unit from the surrounding masonry. I think it’s most likely the cause of the low output issues and slow start times. Together with a user manual that is a little optimistic/misleading, the generally lower flame level of hardwood, and probably having unrealistic expectations of improvements over the open fire.
Thanks for the updates. How is the fire loaded? E/W or N/S? If it's being loaded E/W one issue may be that air is having a hard time getting under the wood causing a slower start. We had this issue with our Castine. The remedy was to put a pair of small 1-2" diameter sleepers down first about 6" apart on which to then load the E/W logs. By raising the E/W wood up slightly, air could better flow under the wood for faster ignition.

Installing an insulated block-off plate in the damper area can pleasantly increase the heat output on exterior wall fireplace installs. Hope that helps your situation.

Just an update - I had a cement board block-off plate installed over summer, along with rock wool at the rear and sides, and the fire is noticeably better, with less heat present in the masonry immediately above the unit, and more noticeable radiant heat in the room.

I believe the earlier low performance is a result of too much heat being absorbed and wasted inside the chimney.

Sorry I can’t be scientific but to me it is noticeable and I am finally pleased with the insert’s performance!